Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Well I is usually right, and modest as well
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Leon on 14 September 2019, 11:49:28 PM
I'd originally planned on using the painters that we've had doing our website photos (JAD, Kev Rouse, Matt J) but I'll bear your offer in mind.  Were you thinking a full tutorial on your methods or more of a list of advice and suggestions?

My painting's not of the standard to do a Dallimore "Painting by numbers" with pictures.

When I've done these in the past, It's been a checklist of things, which if got right will enhance the overall look of the painters work.
It won't turn anybody into Michelangelo, but gets good results from my own limited ability.

My own view is that only about 20% of the effort consists of daubing the paint onto the figures.
This is particularly true of the smaller scales where preparation pays great dividends later in the process.
* Inspecting the figures, cleanup, and sanding the underside of the bases.
* Sorting the figures by pose then grouping them into unit sized batches.
* Sticking them onto painting sticks.

Then there's the artwork of painting, followed by

* Basing.
* Texturing the bases.
* Sealing / varnishing.

I'm sure one of your regulars could bookend the painting guides with these steps.

Steve J

Bases, back and flags make a huge differnce at this scale as, once on the table, this is pretty much what you see. As noted, brighter colours work, which I've learnt recently as my figures that look fine close up, become rather dull once on the games table.

Sandinista

Flags make a huge difference, good flags can distract from an average paint job. No matter what scale I use I always spend a lot of time on the flags.

Cheers
Ian

FierceKitty

Same here. In ancients you have shields; later you have flags.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: FierceKitty on 17 September 2019, 01:33:56 AM
Same here. In ancients you have shields; later you have flags.

By Napoleonic times I find headgear is the most important part of the unit.
This applies to formed infantry or cavalry.
With the cavalry, a decent looking blaze on most horses noses also goes a long way to getting things looking right.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

mollinary

Quote from: Fenton on 18 September 2019, 04:53:46 PM
I think the arms on the command figures are far too long

https://www.facebook.com/196181460427546/posts/2504579779587691/

You may be right, but I think on balance these are the nicest of the new figures. The Auxilia might have been Ok if it was not for that very 70s figure in the rear rank doing his spear balancing act.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!