Are Gripping Beast moving into 10mm?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 10 September 2019, 03:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 13 September 2019, 04:53:35 PM
It's the same approach as painting in smaller scales.
Much of the "But they're sooo hard to paint" appears to come from people who've dipped a toe in 10 or 6mm, but are still trying to add 28mm levels of detail to their figures.

Yeah I can understand that, especially going 28>6 in one step. Different way of painting. Working down the scales helps. I started in 28mm, then
after a few months of that tried going straight to 6mm and hated it as I'd just not the skills to do anything but blob paint on. Doing literally a few 15mm then going 10mm felt more like a smooth transition. 10mm has the advantage of stuff having a decent bit of detail too so you still paint a figure rather than a representative group. I've not done a full 6mm project yet but I'd be a lot less daunted by the prospect now. Doing a 2mm at present but it's a different approach again.

10mm is kind of the 28mm of the small scales so makes sense that people are moving more into it.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: mmcv on 13 September 2019, 09:35:10 PM
Yeah I can understand that, especially going 28>6 in one step. Different way of painting. Working down the scales helps. I started in 28mm, then
after a few months of that tried going straight to 6mm and hated it as I'd just not the skills to do anything but blob paint on. Doing literally a few 15mm then going 10mm felt more like a smooth transition. 10mm has the advantage of stuff having a decent bit of detail too so you still paint a figure rather than a representative group. I've not done a full 6mm project yet but I'd be a lot less daunted by the prospect now. Doing a 2mm at present but it's a different approach again.

10mm is kind of the 28mm of the small scales so makes sense that people are moving more into it.

My experience is that 15mm and below benefit from some sort of painting production line technique.
By the time your reach the 6mm strips It's realy the only way.

It's simply not practical to check each figure/strip to see whether backpack, ammo pouch, shako plate etc have been painted.
I work with units of 120 foot and around 30 mounted, do all of a specific feature (or all of several features), then bag the unit up again.
I'll typically spend 45 minutes on each colour for each unit.

Since my recent introduction to 10mm, I stick them on those painting strips, 6 horse or 12 foot per strip, then work on 2 or 3 strips in a sitting.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

They posted light horse piggies last night, they at least have two poses.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 14 September 2019, 12:59:59 AM
My experience is that 15mm and below benefit from some sort of painting production line technique.
By the time your reach the 6mm strips It's realy the only way

Since my recent introduction to 10mm, I stick them on those painting strips, 6 horse or 12 foot per strip, then work on 2 or 3 strips in a sitting.

Yeah absolutely. I tend to stick them all on lolly sticks and work through large batches at a time. Doing all the jackets, all the trousers, etc. Or alternating if I'm going a mixed colours look. Though I tended to batch at 28+ too, just smaller batches!

You do need to think a lot more about how the overall unit will look compared to each individual figure.

steve_holmes_11

A bit of a tangent.
I know Peter Berry of Baccus 6mm has a few articles on his site coaching micro newbies in the art of painting smaller scales.

There's a fair bit of painting experience here.
Do you think we could cobble something a bit more 10mm specific together for Pendraken's hallowed pages?

He said in a  fit of Saturday night al-co-turism.

Leon

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 14 September 2019, 10:51:15 PM
Do you think we could cobble something a bit more 10mm specific together for Pendraken's hallowed pages?

Definitely, it's something I've got on my list to sort out in the new year.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Leon on 14 September 2019, 11:41:45 PM

If you're open to a compendium of different painter's suggestions, then count me in.

Leon

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 14 September 2019, 11:47:56 PM
If you're open to a compendium of different painter's suggestions, then count me in.

I'd originally planned on using the painters that we've had doing our website photos (JAD, Kev Rouse, Matt J) but I'll bear your offer in mind.  Were you thinking a full tutorial on your methods or more of a list of advice and suggestions?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

A really good idea, the challenge here is there are a wide range of styles and approaches to painting :-\

For the novice you may want to start with some basic advise (brighter colours, stronger contrast) and perhaps basic tutorials on a couple of different methods (e.g. block painting over a dark under coat cf block painting and a wash)

You could then add tutorials / advice on more advanced techniques

Also important to talk about 'wargaming standard' compared to master pieces...

Basing is another factor that can make or break the look of troops, particularly for the smaller scales
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

Quote from: Leon on 14 September 2019, 11:41:45 PM

Didn't Andy Mac produce a guide of how he painted the AWI figures for Dazza a few years ago? I seem to remember downloading it.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Techno

I'm sure there are at least a couple of "How I paint 10mm figures" written by some of our esteemed colleagues hidden somewhere on the forum.  :-\

Two or three years ago ? (Which probably means they've been there a lot longer than that.) :-[

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Perhaps we need a dedicated folder for them ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mollinary

Andy Mac's was January 2012, but I can no longer follow the link.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Chad

I think there are a couple of problems painting small scale. The first is age. Despite using a magnifying headset 10mm are becoming more difficult to paint, so I temporarily upscale to regain my confidence . The second is the improved quality of small scales. If you are used to 28mm/15mm then you enjoy painting the detail, but when 10mm/6mm have comparatively good detail I feel compelled to paint it out of habit. The result is that I can never feel satisfied with a 'quick' paint job and as a result have yet to be happy painting 6mm.

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 15 September 2019, 09:01:59 AM
Perhaps we need a dedicated folder for them ?

Totally agree !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil