Are Gripping Beast moving into 10mm?

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 10 September 2019, 03:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

Quote from: Steve J on 11 September 2019, 12:18:32 PM
Yep, Bag Puss was excellent. Our daughter found it creepy; not sure why :-?
Bagpuss WAS creepy. All the better for it, but... unsettling...

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

12 September 2019, 09:39:18 AM #32 Last Edit: 12 September 2019, 09:42:58 AM by FierceKitty
We-will-fix-it.....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Womble67

Anything that brings more prominence to the scale is a good thing let's hope they get a good response. It might encourage some of the 28mm people to consider downsizing in scale.

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Especially if they do not want to see the death of the big battle, or, even worse for them, youngsters turning to other companies, having tired of skirmish gaming, seeking the big battle experience. At least even the Perrys have an 8mm range of sorts.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

steve_holmes_11

Cataphract Camels too.

One of those things that happened (once?) but every manufacturer needs a model.
See also Cyrus' mobile tower - must be a Persian thing.

I can't say I'm impressed with the "all in one pose" approach.
It's OK for drilled regular infantry, but otherwise it's a bit "Spanish riding school".

I'll close by observing that as the figure size/scale gets smaller, so buyers seem far more (fussy about mixing manufacturers / loyal).

mmcv

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 12 September 2019, 04:50:13 PM
I'll close by observing that as the figure size/scale gets smaller, so buyers seem far more (fussy about mixing manufacturers / loyal).

I suppose a lot of that comes down to the fact that many of the smaller scales are run by smaller companies and one man shows. When you're dealing with them you build up more of a relationship and rapport with them and the broader community. You don't really get that with the big faceless 28mm companies so much. I suspect they're seeing a shift in the market where people haven't the time and resources to do large scale battles with large scale models. That pushed people towards skirmishing, but I imagine skirmish games can get a bit repetitive and people start to crave the glory and splendour of grand battles.

FierceKitty

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 12 September 2019, 04:50:13 PM
Cataphract Camels too.

One of those things that happened (once?) but every manufacturer needs a model.

We know about the armoured camels when they joined the Parthians, but that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't appear elsewhere and fail to make it into the records we have. Ancient Arabia has turned out to be a bit more than just trackless sandy wastes and shimmering caravans in the heat haze.

On which persuasion, I used them as part of an Arab force raiding Persia a while ago. We still got trounced, of course.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Norm

Quote from: mmcv on 12 September 2019, 10:47:40 PM
I suppose a lot of that comes down to the fact that many of the smaller scales are run by smaller companies and one man shows. When you're dealing with them you build up more of a relationship and rapport with them and the broader community. You don't really get that with the big faceless 28mm companies so much. I suspect they're seeing a shift in the market where people haven't the time and resources to do large scale battles with large scale models. That pushed people towards skirmishing, but I imagine skirmish games can get a bit repetitive and people start to crave the glory and splendour of grand battles.

It may well be that skirmish based gaming has been around for so long now, that offering a 'big battle' system would be genuinely new to a certain audience (and suddenly make the rest of us trendy!)  and become a good revenue stream for companies, as well as allowing them to promote big battle systems. It would certainly allow Gripping Beast to operate in two scale areas, opening new markets, which would be a big expansion for them. If figures have been computer sculpted, then once done, they can be set to any scale and 'knocked out', you could see Gripping Beast use the same sculpts in 10mm and 28mm.

I wonder whether scale incompatibility is more noticeable at the smaller scales?   

mmcv

Good points Norm. I wonder though if scaling up and down will be as effective as that, presumably when going down you may need to rework things to emphasise different parts of the model to look right at the scale.

Incompatibility is one, I don't mind mixing manufacturers in different units but the differences in style are such that on the same base they'll look wrong.

Don't have enough experience with the big boys to say if they're the same.

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

As far as I know, Plastic Soldier Company scale down CAD files. In their very early days, the first set was Russian infantry in summer uniforms. With them, they scaled down to 15mm and up to 28mm (starting with a 1/72 file), the scaling up produced a softer detailed figure.

Raider4

I have done a fair bit of re-sizing of print-your-own card models from (usually) 25/28mm down to 10mm or 6mm size. You just have to drop some details because they're too fiddly.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Raider4 on 13 September 2019, 01:16:32 PM
I have done a fair bit of re-sizing of print-your-own card models from (usually) 25/28mm down to 10mm or 6mm size. You just have to drop some details because they're too fiddly.

It's the same approach as painting in smaller scales.
Much of the "But they're sooo hard to paint" appears to come from people who've dipped a toe in 10 or 6mm, but are still trying to add 28mm levels of detail to their figures.

Wulf

Scaling minis up is easy, you just get slightly chunkier, more robust, but less detailed looking minis (less detail to the square inch that is). Scaling minis down raises distinct possibilities of bits not casting at all, or being so thin as to break as soon as you sneeze at them...