Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
19 February 2020, 10:13:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Blitzkrieg Commander IV is now available here!
291292 Posts in 17315 Topics by 2202 Members
Latest Member: hammurabi70
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Wider Wargaming
| |-+  Non-Pendraken Stuff
| | |-+  Are Gripping Beast moving into 10mm?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are Gripping Beast moving into 10mm?  (Read 2618 times)
mmcv
Major

« Reply #45 on: 13 September 2019, 09:35:10 PM »

It's the same approach as painting in smaller scales.
Much of the "But they're sooo hard to paint" appears to come from people who've dipped a toe in 10 or 6mm, but are still trying to add 28mm levels of detail to their figures.

Yeah I can understand that, especially going 28>6 in one step. Different way of painting. Working down the scales helps. I started in 28mm, then
after a few months of that tried going straight to 6mm and hated it as I'd just not the skills to do anything but blob paint on. Doing literally a few 15mm then going 10mm felt more like a smooth transition. 10mm has the advantage of stuff having a decent bit of detail too so you still paint a figure rather than a representative group. I've not done a full 6mm project yet but I'd be a lot less daunted by the prospect now. Doing a 2mm at present but it's a different approach again.

10mm is kind of the 28mm of the small scales so makes sense that people are moving more into it.
steve_holmes_11
Major

« Reply #46 on: 14 September 2019, 12:59:59 AM »

Yeah I can understand that, especially going 28>6 in one step. Different way of painting. Working down the scales helps. I started in 28mm, then
after a few months of that tried going straight to 6mm and hated it as I'd just not the skills to do anything but blob paint on. Doing literally a few 15mm then going 10mm felt more like a smooth transition. 10mm has the advantage of stuff having a decent bit of detail too so you still paint a figure rather than a representative group. I've not done a full 6mm project yet but I'd be a lot less daunted by the prospect now. Doing a 2mm at present but it's a different approach again.

10mm is kind of the 28mm of the small scales so makes sense that people are moving more into it.

My experience is that 15mm and below benefit from some sort of painting production line technique.
By the time your reach the 6mm strips It's realy the only way.

It's simply not practical to check each figure/strip to see whether backpack, ammo pouch, shako plate etc have been painted.
I work with units of 120 foot and around 30 mounted, do all of a specific feature (or all of several features), then bag the unit up again.
I'll typically spend 45 minutes on each colour for each unit.

Since my recent introduction to 10mm, I stick them on those painting strips, 6 horse or 12 foot per strip, then work on 2 or 3 strips in a sitting.
mad lemmey
Marquis

« Reply #47 on: 14 September 2019, 06:47:48 AM »

They posted light horse piggies last night, they at least have two poses.

Chekov's Gun, Occam's Razor, and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle walk into a bar. You won't believe what happens next!

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner 😎
mmcv
Major

« Reply #48 on: 14 September 2019, 10:42:16 AM »

My experience is that 15mm and below benefit from some sort of painting production line technique.
By the time your reach the 6mm strips It's realy the only way

Since my recent introduction to 10mm, I stick them on those painting strips, 6 horse or 12 foot per strip, then work on 2 or 3 strips in a sitting.

Yeah absolutely. I tend to stick them all on lolly sticks and work through large batches at a time. Doing all the jackets, all the trousers, etc. Or alternating if I'm going a mixed colours look. Though I tended to batch at 28+ too, just smaller batches!

You do need to think a lot more about how the overall unit will look compared to each individual figure.
steve_holmes_11
Major

« Reply #49 on: 14 September 2019, 10:51:15 PM »

A bit of a tangent.
I know Peter Berry of Baccus 6mm has a few articles on his site coaching micro newbies in the art of painting smaller scales.

There's a fair bit of painting experience here.
Do you think we could cobble something a bit more 10mm specific together for Pendraken's hallowed pages?

He said in a  fit of Saturday night al-co-turism.
Leon
Viscount

« Reply #50 on: 14 September 2019, 11:41:45 PM »

Do you think we could cobble something a bit more 10mm specific together for Pendraken's hallowed pages?

Definitely, it's something I've got on my list to sort out in the new year.

www.pendraken.co.uk - Home to over 3500 products of shiny 10mm goodness!
www.minibits.net - MDF bases, Vallejo paints, I-94 decals, Red Vectors MDF buildings, Crossover Miniatures, Militia Miniatures and more!
steve_holmes_11
Major

« Reply #51 on: 14 September 2019, 11:47:56 PM »

If you're open to a compendium of different painter's suggestions, then count me in.
Leon
Viscount

« Reply #52 on: 14 September 2019, 11:49:28 PM »

If you're open to a compendium of different painter's suggestions, then count me in.

I'd originally planned on using the painters that we've had doing our website photos (JAD, Kev Rouse, Matt J) but I'll bear your offer in mind.  Were you thinking a full tutorial on your methods or more of a list of advice and suggestions?

www.pendraken.co.uk - Home to over 3500 products of shiny 10mm goodness!
www.minibits.net - MDF bases, Vallejo paints, I-94 decals, Red Vectors MDF buildings, Crossover Miniatures, Militia Miniatures and more!
paulr
General

« Reply #53 on: 15 September 2019, 12:35:20 AM »

A really good idea, the challenge here is there are a wide range of styles and approaches to painting Undecided

For the novice you may want to start with some basic advise (brighter colours, stronger contrast) and perhaps basic tutorials on a couple of different methods (e.g. block painting over a dark under coat cf block painting and a wash)

You could then add tutorials / advice on more advanced techniques

Also important to talk about 'wargaming standard' compared to master pieces...

Basing is another factor that can make or break the look of troops, particularly for the smaller scales

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
mollinary
Major General

« Reply #54 on: 15 September 2019, 08:43:58 AM »

Didn’t Andy Mac produce a guide of how he painted the AWI figures for Dazza a few years ago? I seem to remember downloading it.
Techno
Count

« Reply #55 on: 15 September 2019, 08:59:31 AM »

I'm sure there are at least a couple of "How I paint 10mm figures" written by some of our esteemed colleagues hidden somewhere on the forum.  Undecided

Two or three years ago ? (Which probably means they've been there a lot longer than that.) Embarrassed

Cheers - Phil

FSN IS an oik...I wonder when he'll change his signature again . :-)
Techno....AND STILL.....The most picked on member of the forum since 2011
ianrs54
Playtester
Lieutenant General

« Reply #56 on: 15 September 2019, 09:01:59 AM »

Perhaps we need a dedicated folder for them ?

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF HURRAY

Muppet of the year 2019, and 2020
mollinary
Major General

« Reply #57 on: 15 September 2019, 09:17:35 AM »

Andy Mac’s was January 2012, but I can no longer follow the link.
Chad
Colonel

« Reply #58 on: 15 September 2019, 10:17:15 AM »

I think there are a couple of problems painting small scale. The first is age. Despite using a magnifying headset 10mm are becoming more difficult to paint, so I temporarily upscale to regain my confidence . The second is the improved quality of small scales. If you are used to 28mm/15mm then you enjoy painting the detail, but when 10mm/6mm have comparatively good detail I feel compelled to paint it out of habit. The result is that I can never feel satisfied with a ‘quick’ paint job and as a result have yet to be happy painting 6mm.
Techno
Count

« Reply #59 on: 15 September 2019, 10:47:00 AM »

Perhaps we need a dedicated folder for them ?

Totally agree !  Thumbs up

Cheers - Phil

FSN IS an oik...I wonder when he'll change his signature again . :-)
Techno....AND STILL.....The most picked on member of the forum since 2011
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: