British Home Guard 1940

Started by Terry37, 09 September 2019, 10:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

OK, I am looking for some info on the early dress of the British Home Guard established for the German invasion of 1940. I know they originally wore their civilian clothes with the LDV arm band, but I also understand that for a short while they were, or some were,  issued denim one piece coveralls before more regulation uniforms were able to be issued. What I am seeking is info on the one piece denim overalls - what color were they? And what color of fore and aft cap would have been worn with it

Also, does anyone know when scrim was starting to be used in British helmet nets?

Many thnaks,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Techno

There appears to be a book on Home Guard uniforms by Richard Hunt on sale on ebay, at the mo' Terry.

For some reason I can't get a link to work.

There are a few colour plates shown in the ad....But whether anything's of relevance to you, I'm not sure.

Cheers - Phil

Sunray

Hi Terry

I am not sure if the one piece "mono" was universal issue.   There was a two piece denim set cut like battledress that seems to feature in the b/w images.

Caps appear to be the field service fore&aft in Khaki drill

A lot of the websites drop real clangers with HG armed with SMLE Mk III or even "the Springfield rifle"  1  so I doubt their accuracy in other details. :)

For what its worth, the BBC original Dads Army were stickers for correct detail.  Jimmy Perry served in the Watford HG.   

1.  HG were issued with the 1917 Enfield made in USA in .306 for US army WW1. I used one in Tennessee in 2008 - it retains the Lee Enfield cock on lock  mechanism.   

James