Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
06 August 2020, 08:39:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We've been producing PPE equipment for the frontline workers.
304609 Posts in 17768 Topics by 2249 Members
Latest Member: Waremblem
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Wider Wargaming
| |-+  Batreps (Moderator: nikharwood)
| | |-+  Black Powder Salem Church
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Black Powder Salem Church  (Read 1015 times)
Dave Fielder
Lieutenant Colonel

"Chickens-R-Us"

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 11:33:07 PM »

So I used the ORBAT and scenario and played out the game with another human! Quite weird in this environment. Anyway, it was a close run affair , the Rebels aggression saw the School House fall to Hoke by turn 3 and Eustis was hard pressed with most of his Brigade being pulled apart piecemeal, but Salem Church did hold to turn 7. Semmes and Kershaw took on the three Union brigades, on paper it looked uneven but the Union command kept failing meaning they dropped CR to 7 making any movement difficult. A hard fought firefight with a few moments of bayonets crossing saw the Unions becoming largely spent but at great cost to the Rebels. It was a well balanced scenario with a tactical Rebel victory but the Unions held onto the Church up to nightfall, probably making this a strategic victory because they held the central position with the roads still open. The game took about 2.5 hours to get to a conclusion and is a well recommended scenario. It can be bath-tubbed to fit for ANY ACW ruleset and all figure scales, although the table size might have to be adjusted to fit ground and figure scale.

Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis
Norm
Colonel

« Reply #16 on: Today at 06:02:09 AM »

Dave, Thanks for running and recommending it. I find it interesting to see how scenarios that work can fall out of a situation created from within a boardgame setting, which creates a loose association with the historical encounter. I think the only thing that I wondered about this, was whether Salem Church was too strong under the Black Powder rules.

Steve J
General

« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:40:52 AM »

Great to see you have been able to get some FtF gaming in Dave Smiley.

As for the church Norm, you could give it only a marginal save against musket/rifle fire, but not against artillery. I remember a 'photo on a fellow Bloggers site, with an ACW wooden building absolutely riddled with bullet holes, so not as much protection as one might think.

http://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - 2 x Winner!
Norm
Colonel

« Reply #18 on: Today at 07:48:23 PM »

Steve, that would probably be the best way to go.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: