Black Powder Salem Church

Started by Norm, 05 September 2019, 02:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I took a slice of action from the boardgame Salem Church by Decision Games and played it out as a Black Powder game on just a 3' x 3' space.

There is a full article over on my blog. All-in-all, it gave a very enjoyable and quite tight game.

LINK

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2019/09/12mm-black-powder-for-salem-church.html

sunjester

A very nice looking game. I've downloaded your scenario and will give it a try sometime soon.

Techno

bigjackmac

Great game, Norm, and great idea using the boardgame to set up the tabletop action.

V/R,
Jack

marie

Hi Norm,
I loved your game too and I have downloaded your scenario
Only 380 figures to paint...
More tea vicar..

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Norm

Quote from: marie on 27 July 2020, 11:23:08 PM
Hi Norm,
I loved your game too and I have downloaded your scenario
Only 380 figures to paint...
More tea vicar..

Thank you, your post made me go back and do a re-read, which has left me wanting to play that out again, it was a fun scenario, though it would be interesting to see how different rules might play out.

380 figures! why do we do this to ourselves :-)

Techno

Well......It helps to pay for horse feed and vets' bills, as far as I'm concerned.   :'(

Cheers - Phil  ;)

FierceKitty

It's paying for the ducks' bills that worries me.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Westmarcher

Great game, Norm. So close. Nice terrain / scenery and particularly like your 12mm miniatures. I believe I may have said this before but I have driven past Salem Church along the Plank Road at least half a dozen times in my visits to the Fredericksburg, Wilderness, Spotsylvania and Chancellorsville battlefields. Having only researched the big battles in advance, I was vaguely aware that 'some sort of action' took place there so I always wondered what transpired as I waited at the traffic lights or drove past. If you saw the site today you might be surprised how relatively flat it all looks, possibly in part due to the modern developments of the two 3 lane carriageways on the highway and (even though these are somewhat spread out) all of the commercial and community buildings around. The hill on which the modern church stands is not very large either and so, does not appear to be any kind of obstacle at all. To cap it all, I just looked at the site on Google maps there and I now realise I must have driven past some kind of monument there each time of which I have no memory (ye gods, is this old age? I think I'll put it down to focusing my attention on the traffic situation on the road)!  :-[

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@38.2898152,-77.5303555,3a,75y,147.07h,86.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjRKJQhulGIfJSevfc2jQpQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
(the site of old Salem Church is behind the monument)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

monkeynut

Really enjoyed reading your scenario and looking at the pictures of your game. Very good. I am going to Take inspiration and adapt your scenario to fit my favourite rules. Thanks for sharing.

🐵

Scorpio_Rocks

Great intense little action!

I have downloaded the scenario and will probably transplant to somewhere in Flanders during the Franco-Dutch war or LoA, using Pike and Shotte.
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

Norm

Thanks all, while looking online for other peoples games on the subject, I discovered that there is a Salem's Church scenario in the Glory Hallelujah ACW expansion for Black Powder, but I note they don't represent any high ground.

I did find a nice game by fellow blogger (it obviously follows the historical situation) Here
http://slimreidy1.blogspot.com/2017/04/salem-church-1863.html

Dave Fielder

This is a good looking scenario, will give it a go next week. I like the idea of small tables to give a full battle outcome. One question about the deploying into skirmish order: "Can all ACW troops break into skirmish order in this scenario?" What effects on the unit's shooting and H-t-H capability?
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Norm

Quote from: Dave Fielder on 30 July 2020, 08:11:37 AM
This is a good looking scenario, will give it a go next week. I like the idea of small tables to give a full battle outcome. One question about the deploying into skirmish order: "Can all ACW troops break into skirmish order in this scenario?" What effects on the unit's shooting and H-t-H capability?

Hi Dave, for Black Powder 2 the woods count as heavy, so the only troops that can move through it (at half rate) are those in skirmish order. BP and Glory Hallelujah limit skirmishing to 'part' of a regiment throwing skirmishers in front of them OR allowing a whole regiment to count as light and to all skirmish, but only 1 regiment per brigade can have this status - so essentially no, formations in this battle cannot 'generally' skirmish as an entire unit, but I had to allow it for those making passage of the wood and so it should be thought of only as a mechanism for traversing the woods.

For the most part, skirmishers can't charge or at least in this battle there are unlikely to be anything that falls within those things they can charge. If they end up in melee, they fight at a disadvantage, hitting on 5+ rather than 4+. Almost certainly in this scenario, the skirmishers moving through the woods will stay in skirmish formation to allow them to traverse and exit the woods and at that point, they should form up into line.

I'm really pleased that you think the scenario looks interesting enough to have ago.