Gluing figures to bases

Started by mmcv, 02 September 2019, 07:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

2 mm? Two. Bloody. Millimetre!  :o

You might have said!   ;D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

mmcv

Haha! The glue gun figures were all 10mm, never fear.

The 2mm is a new project I'm starting on, think the glue blobs would be bigger than the figure blocks if I tried the gun on them!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

For 2mm use card and UHU, a thin scrape of it ! For metal to metal (mostly pewter to 1p coins) I use cheap and nasty super glue, metal or plastic to card uhu, and plastic to plastic its ploy cement

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Ahem... my coat please...

Thought parrot to parrot was Polly cement?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

I think for that one you don't even deserve your coat, you're out in the rain in your shirt.

PVA didn't really hold, though was only a thin coat so possibly back to superglue for them. I do have some self adhesive magnetic tape that I used for my 2d counters, tempted to use it as basing for the 2mm. I'm in two minds whether it's worth going magnetised for 2mm, they're not really fragile enough to make storage a concern but might be useful for movement trays, status counters, etc.

industrialtrousers

I generally use some UHU-like contact glue from Wilko. It gives you time to change your mind if you get a bit punchy and find you've stuck the opposition on by mistake or a moment's inattention. when that's dry I just fill in any gaps with a thin layer of plasticine and paint sand/flock.

Noktu

I use a large flat file to steam through the bases, and apply Loctite 60sec gel (20g tube).

The gel superglue lets you position the wonky ones quite nicely. You get those sometimes even with all the filing

Terry37

Late to the party here, but I use plain old Elmer's White Glue. It does a nice job of holding the figure, with just enough give if needed, but mainly so if the element were dropped hopefully the figure(s) will pop off rather than break. Have only had it happen one time and thankfully the figures popped right off. Not sure that would happen if I used a super glue type.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Leman

Well I've just learnt something the hard way. I usually temporarily fix my figures to a wooden rod using Copydex. For a change I tried pennies only to discover, when I came to remove them, that Copydex reacts with coin metal so that it doesn't actually set but remains a sticky mess.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

Quote from: mad lemmey on 03 September 2019, 05:30:20 PM
Ahem... my coat please...

Thought parrot to parrot was Polly cement?

No, Pollyfiller.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

That's terrible, take your sh*t off and get out !!!
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Quote from: Leman on 11 September 2019, 09:10:57 AM
Well I've just learnt something the hard way. I usually temporarily fix my figures to a wooden rod using Copydex. For a change I tried pennies only to discover, when I came to remove them, that Copydex reacts with coin metal so that it doesn't actually set but remains a sticky mess.
That is an experiment I am going to try!  :D
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Why would you want somebody to take their shirt off, unless it was Iggy Pop.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Zippee

Quote from: Leman on 11 September 2019, 09:10:57 AM

trust me leave it for a year and the copydex sets  - sets like some kind of wonderous space age technology wonder-glue. it's a quite bizarre reaction but i can't get them orcs of them coins, no matter what I try, saoked 'em, heated 'em, used power tools - short of melting the whole thing down the two are essentially one now (actually they'd still be one if I melted them down but . . .)

Womble67

I used to use two part epoxy but I swapped to superglue due to speed. However I do occasionally use PVA if I want time to move the figures about.

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!