Bought a Minidrill. Advice please.

Started by Heedless Horseman, 25 September 2019, 02:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

Hi  to all. I've bought a cordless minidrill. (Hawkforce). The initial intended use is to drill/ream/ grind, whatever, the turret peg holes on, (Please excuse!!!), 1/200 Skytrex metal tanks to accept the much larger plugs on Butlers Printed Models turrets. Early days, yet...have almost no time to experiment...but....the pink burr thing can 'sort of' work but looks as though use would be very limited as after 1 trial it was clogged with lead.
Could someone advise me on what bit I should be using? Drill, burr, etc... I've sent off for some 6mm drill bits with a 3mm shank, but HAD thought that some sort of grinder/rotary file would be less 'vicious'!
Obviously,  ;D, I am NOT technical...think I might have to go back to scraping out with a knife and filing with round file...(b****r though it would be (!!!) on large numbers of tanks!)   :(
Or hand drill with one of those things that you turn with a wheel...although I was trying to avoid clamping...if it is clamped tight enough, it will probable be squashed...or the da*n thing works loose and sticks on the bit!  :'(
All comments gladly accepted!  ;)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Techno

Hi, HH. :)

If I'm understanding correctly what you're trying to do......

I'd be tempted to get your self some metal burrs, rather than using the pink burr.....which WILL clog up fairly quickly, using it on white metal.
I think the Dremmel size 107 would be your best bet.

I think you'll have quite a bit more control with a burr....rather than a 6mm drill bit......though the drill bit will almost certainly give a neater result.

If you DO use drill bit.....You will almost certainly need to clamp the body of the tank..(don't use your fingers. ;))...and when using said drill bit...don't try and 'ream' the hole out in one continuous go.....Drill a little hole..stop....drill a little deeper...stop again.....and continue in this fashion until you've got the hole to the required depth.

If you DO try and drill the hole out 'in one go'.....the bit is quite likely to 'grab' and get stuck.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers - Phil

Norm

Sometimes a combination of widening the hole in the body AND shaving town the peg on the turret gives the fastest way to get the job done.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Be very careful, the hull will get hot !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

I find a normal battery drill is better for widening holes, as minidrills wobble too much and have a too high rpm. Burrs are much better for grinding, as you can clear them out, whereas the grinding stones  just clog up with the soft metal.

steve_holmes_11

I'm not convinced I'm visualising this correctly, so read with caution.

I've done this sort of thing on a larger scale with grown-up sized drills.
I've had most luck widening holes using a countersink bit.

Picture of one for wood: https://media.screwfix.com/is/image//ae235?src=ae235/9656V_P&$prodImageMedium$

Picture of a tapered variety: https://www.infinitytools.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/0/101-076_base_1.jpg

The tapered variety will offer better precision if broadening a hole through metal.

A manual powered alternative that might work is a tap designed for cutting a screw thread through material.
You'll have a lot of control, precise control over the diameter of the new hole, and reduced risk of the bit running amok across your beautifully detailed model.

sunjester

Quote from: Techno on 25 September 2019, 07:21:59 AM
You will almost certainly need to clamp the body of the tank..(don't use your fingers. ;))...

Speaking from experience there Phil?  ;D

Techno

Heedless Horseman

Thanks so far guys! Burrs definitely help, though not as quick as I'd hoped! :( Have to keep changing up bits...unless going for a 'production line'. And they Do get hot! (Will have to get some more left hand golf gloves as I used my spare 'Dog' walking glove!  ??? ) Drill would probably be faster ...suppose I could get some shammy leather to pad when clamped in a vice....but still not keen on clamping. Wow...those 'grown up' sized bits look EVIL! Would probably do the job though...but I would have to get another 'grown up' sized drill, (or new batteries for the use of), as my stuff won't take charge anymore...and hardly used over the years!!! Grrr.) Big drills are so damn clumsy though. Will keep on experimenting.
Incidentally, have found that printed turret barrels WILL still break off...just like lead!  ;)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)