Gluing figures to bases

Started by mmcv, 02 September 2019, 07:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

What do people use to do so? I'd mostly settled on a thin superglue and baking soda accelerant but was experimenting with using a glue gun there and the rapid stick is handy. Does end up quite chunky similar to a thick gel superglue but once basing material goes on shouldn't matter.

Main downside of the thin glue is if there's a curve in the figure base figures can end up drying at wonky angles. Thicker glue lets you position a bit easier by providing a cushion.

Steve J

I sand the bases flat on coarse sandpaper prior to sticking with normal superglue; works for me.

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Westmarcher

Superglue on mdf bases works fine for me. I also add Milliput around the base of the figure so that it's flush with the rest of the base. This also gives the figures extra support.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

mmcv

I did use Milliput for basing texture and hold for some of my early units, though somewhat regret the decision as I want to rebase some of them now. Milliput is a stubborn mistress and took a few casualties in my last rebase attempt...

FierceKitty

Embed figure bases in quick set epoxy spread over card.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Norm

Depends on the base, if plastic, I use superglue.

If the base is MDF, I use a 'no nails', for reasons of trying to reduce the number of solvents I use.

fred.

I use PVA for figures on to MDF bases.

I tend to use superglue for figures to metal or plastic bases.

I always file the bottom of the cast on bases flat with a small file as part of the prep of the figures. Sometimes it only needs a light pass, other times there can be quite a large feed to remove, and some of these are easier to remove with clippers before filing.

With PVA for basing I mix in some brown paint, and coat the whole MDF base with a thin layer of this, then put the figures in place, then add sand. Leave to dry for several hours.

The brown paint in the PVA does a good job of colouring the sand, which saves having to try to paint the sand around the figures.

Another big advantage of PVA for basing, is that re-basing is fairly easy.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

steve_holmes_11

2 part Epoxy - for the boy (and the better sort of girl*) who hates re-basing.

* Apologies to H.G.Wells

mmcv

Is the epoxy easier to rebase from? Presumably it adds a bit of texture too?

FierceKitty

03 September 2019, 10:09:22 AM #10 Last Edit: 03 September 2019, 10:10:57 AM by FierceKitty
It gives a pleasing solidity to the base, and you can texture it quite a bit if you use the slow set stuff; even apply flock or foliage.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

That would have been a very different post...  :-S

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mmcv

Quote from: Leman on 03 September 2019, 01:21:21 PM
Yes, very camp!

Groan...

Trying the PVA method with my 2mm. Sticking a couple of them to the base with some fine sand then will try out priming and painting base and blocks together once they try. Not sure if it'll give enough hold though.