28mm UNIT troops wanted!

Started by Wulf, 02 September 2019, 07:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

Anyone know a source of 28-32mm UK infantry of the 1980s, preferably in beret (UNIT, as far as I remember, didn't do helmets...), ready to fight some Daleks? I have some scaled Daleks and want to do a version of the boardgame 'Mars Attacks!', but make it 'Skaro Attacks!'... I need some riflemen, LMGs, commander & LAW or other Anti-Tank missile user. Detail & accuracy levels need not be too high, I'd settle for green army men if they look like 1980s British green army men. Price does matter a bit, I'm not going to actually get much use out of them, I just want to have them. I can continue to use the US troops that come in the game meanwhile.

petercooman

Did you check warlord games? They make doctor who miniatures.

sunjester

Wulf

03 September 2019, 07:24:04 PM #3 Last Edit: 03 September 2019, 07:33:34 PM by Wulf
I did check Warlord, but
a) They don't actually have any UNIT figures...
b) Their minis are apparently 38mm, so my Daleks, scaled against 28mm minis, would look rather weenie
c) The minis are, perfectly reasonably, packaged for Wrlord's game, so a bit expensive to pick & choose!

The Black Tree minis, however, are just the ticket. I did know someone did Doctor Who minis before, but couldn't remember ... who... and didn't know they did UNIT minis anyway!

Just need to find some surrogate companions for the new series now...

Wulf

Only problem with these UNIT figures - and it's a common one for skirmish scale gaming - is the MG gunner is prone, seriously limiting his usefulness. Anyone know where I can get a GPMG or similar to convert a rifleman?

Wulf

Quote from: Bren on 03 September 2019, 08:38:18 PM
Gripping Beast do Falklands War British
Oh, yes, that's nice. Not knowing a lot about military fashion, I'm guessing Para beret would suit best against the Black Tree UNIT minis (which I already ordered), right?

Bren

I imagine the cap badges shouldn't be an issue; a tiny blob of green stuff on an unpainted figure will sort that out. For expert advise on the rest of the uniform you might need to summon Dave Fielder on to the thread (although he may advise you not to co-opt any Royal Marines into UNIT  :D ).

Wulf

Quote from: Bren on 04 September 2019, 12:59:59 AM
I imagine the cap badges shouldn't be an issue; 
I hadn't realised it was just the head that varied, so I ordered anyway. Thanks!

Smoking gun

08 September 2019, 03:09:49 PM #9 Last Edit: 08 September 2019, 03:28:49 PM by Smoking gun
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

Last Hussar

Ww2 paras. I got a plastic kit poss warlord for 7tv games.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Wulf

Quote from: Smoking gun on 08 September 2019, 03:09:49 PM
Hi, Crooked dice produce some suitable figures: http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product-tag/military/ There's also a decent Ace (Dorothy): http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product/savage-school-girls-1/
These miniatures can be addictive.
Not a bad Ace, but I have the UNIT troops covered now, thanks. There used to be some more standin companions - I know Black Tree still have the 'classic' range, but I remember somewhere there was a load of others from the new series. Possibly they're long gone.

IN any case I don't intend to overdo this, the number of times they'll see use is minimal.

Big Insect

Quote from: sunjester on 02 September 2019, 10:41:36 PM
Black Tree still have Unit figures on their website.
https://eoeorbisuk.com/search?type=product&q=unit

Good luck with Blacktree
It took me nearly 8 months to get my last order out of them and the communication was almost nonexistent, until I 'prompted' them hard..
I was finally made aware that the owner has had serious personal and family health issues, but I found it worrying that they were still accepting web-orders.
Shame really as the figures are rather nice.
Hopefully normal service will be resumed shortly (or maybe it has, but I cannot wait that long for units to complete an army unfortunately)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Wulf

Quote from: Big Insect on 08 September 2019, 10:47:54 PM
Good luck with Blacktree
Hmmm... well, they are advertising a sale right now, so someone is active on the website...

Wulf

Quote from: Smoking gun on 08 September 2019, 03:09:49 PM
Hi, Crooked dice produce some suitable figures: http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product-tag/military/ There's also a decent Ace (Dorothy): http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/wp/product/savage-school-girls-1/
Didn't Crooked Dice used to have a forum? Quite a big & active forum too...