Next project - ACW, Colonial, ...

Started by paulr, 01 September 2019, 03:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

With the end of the painting for my and Pierre the Shy's ECW projects in sight my thoughts are turning to my next project :-\

As a group we use about a dozen different sets of rules and it takes a very special set of rules to add to that number, take a bow For King & Parliament :)
We currently play:
Land

• Ancients - DBMM, with maybe a test of To the Strongest coming up :d
  • Medieval - DBA
  • ECW - FK&P
  • AWI - V&B
  • Napoleonic - V&B
  • Napoleonic - home grown rules
  • WWI - ITLSU
  • WWII - Spearhead
  • WWII - home grown rules
  • WWIII - Modern Spearhead
Sea
  • Age of Sail - home grown rules
  • Pre-dreadnought - GQ I/II
  • WWI - GQ I/II
  • WWII - GQ I/II

I've been mulling over ideas for my next project for a while and have been thinking about something in the mid to late 1800s using Volley & Bayonet rules :-\

This gives me three broad choices:

• European - but which nations and years @-) :-/
  • American Civil War - Infantry, Artillery, cavalry - Blue & Grey :-\
  • Colonial - variety of troop types, asymmetrical forces :-\ :-B

Colonial has several possibilities:

• Zulu wars - perhaps a bit one dimensional and you need fousands of'em X_X
  • Sudan - the early parts might be interesting and locals have some fire power :-\
  • Indian Mutiny / First war of Independence - wide variety of colourful troops, variety of fire power on both sides, room for asymmetrical forces :-\ :-\

If you have read this far through my meanderings, congratulations ;D

Can anyone point me at some good online resources for the Indian Mutiny

What other sub-periods would the figures overlap into :-\
Anglo-Sikh, Maratha, Gorkha, ...

Any other options for a new project to include in the mix?
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

01 September 2019, 03:32:36 AM #1 Last Edit: 01 September 2019, 03:53:44 AM by FierceKitty
Sudan is more varied, though one ends up getting Zulus too anyway. Remember that the Mahdist adventure also involved the Egyptians (pretty army, dismal quality), the Abyssinians, and the Italians.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

John Cook

Quote from: paulr on 01 September 2019, 03:31:21 AM

Can anyone point me at some good online resources for the Indian Mutiny

I've been looking for something myself as the new Mutiny range has sparked interest.  There isn't very much on line that I could see.   It is a period I know next to nothing about so I might invest in some of the Osprey books.  In the meantime I've sent for a copy of Saul David's The Indian Mutiny, which at £8 for a VG 2nd Hand copy is a start. 

I also looked for typically Indian/Moghul style buildings in 10mm/1:150.  Middle Eastern ones don't really cut it and though I'm not looking for the Taj or Red Fort there is absolutely nothing that I could find.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

I've personally through that the Anglo Sikh wars provide great gaming potential.

On the one hand a "native" force with a regular core, drilled firearm infantry and excellent artillery.
On the other a "colonial" force with a large local component and light but mobile artillery.

Both armies have strengths and weaknesses and can face each other with relatively even odds (if that's how you like your games)
You certainly won't be mowing down rows of natives from behind a wall of mealie bags.

Wonderful variety of uniforms and colour.
Eye catching terrain.
The battles are of a manageable scale for tabletop.

mmcv

Every time I read a Flashman book I think it would make a good project... Anglo Sikh would definitely be interesting as Steve says, and not one I've seen done much.

paulr

Anglo-Sikh is definitely an option

How appropriate are the Indian Mutiny range for the Anglo-Sikh wars?

John Cook

Quote from: ianrs54 on 01 September 2019, 12:00:46 PM
Got the book on Kindle - 99p

I prefer books to Kindle.  There is a second-hand book shop I know, which has a Kindle on display.  It has been used as a target for a shotgun.  That's more or less how I feel about them too.

mmcv

Quote from: John Cook on 01 September 2019, 09:37:22 PM
I prefer books to Kindle.  There is a second-hand book shop I know, which has a Kindle on display.  It has been used as a target for a shotgun.  That's more or less how I feel about them too.

Each to their own, I love my Kindle. All that knowledge and entertainment in one light, easy package without having to lug a bunch of dead trees about the place... I think for those who just care about the content and the words Kindles are great. If you're someone who enjoys the experience and aesthetic of a physical book, you won't appreciate the device. There's the odd time a physical book is preferable but vast majority of the time I'd go Kindle.

sunjester

Kindled are fine for fiction but I prefer a real book for non fiction. It's too much gaff to keep flicking back to consult a map/illustration at the start/end of a book with a kindle.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

John Cook

02 September 2019, 11:34:09 PM #10 Last Edit: 02 September 2019, 11:38:09 PM by John Cook
Yes of course, each to their own.  It is a bit like vinyl over CDs, I suppose, or written rules over computer moderated rules.  Anyway, does anybody know a source for Indian style buildings?

paulr

Or any good online sources for the Indian Mutiny ;)

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

I've found a couple of useful sites

The Indian Mutiny Pages http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Indian%20Mutiny/Indian_mutiny_index.htm

I hope our gracious host doesn't mind me posting this one, but the figures are in quite the wrong scale ;)
The Historical Notes tab is very useful with lots of good information :)
https://www.irondukeminiatures.co.uk/

John Cook

Thanks for that.  The historical notes on Ironduke Miniatures page have some useful OB stuff.