Logical development

Started by FierceKitty, 29 August 2019, 12:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Our local competition ancients gamers have taken to using preset terrain in their competition games, based on historic battles

Gives more time for pushing lead as they don't need to go through terrain set up and tear down each game

Also gives much more interesting battlefields
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Must say, I often feel that terrain means too little in our games; it slows down sweeping outflanking mavouevres and that's it. Must give this some thought (esp. since yesterday was my last labouring day at the old place, yippee).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Congratulations on the new freedom ;) :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Thanks. Glad to get away, though taking leave of a few colleagues was a bit sad.

Orcs

Quote from: FierceKitty on 30 August 2019, 12:59:18 AM
Must say, I often feel that terrain means too little in our games; it slows down sweeping outflanking mavouevres and that's it. Must give this some thought (esp. since yesterday was my last labouring day at the old place, yippee).

I think that's  because with our "all seeing" view of the battlefield we know where everything is and its effect on our troops/  Where as a commander would have sent a message telling unit to advance to an objective, without being able to see the stream and marshy area between them and the said objective.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

Mmmm. I'm pretty well commited to the random movement distance method (with terrain and type modifiers) to give at least some recognition to the fact that the plain plain may sometimes be rough stuff when you've got your horse in the gorse.

Chris Pringle

Quote from: FierceKitty on 30 August 2019, 01:27:38 AM
Mmmm. I'm pretty well committed to the random movement distance method (with terrain and type modifiers) to give at least some recognition to the fact that the plain plain may sometimes be rough stuff when you've got your horse in the gorse.

For the Warring Empires rules I wrote years ago, rather than variable movement, I had variable terrain effects: you didn't know until you actually moved troops into it and rolled the dice whether a given village would be a mere speedbump or a stone-walled fortress, or whether a patch of woods would be easy open going or dense, slow and liable to make troops emerge in the wrong direction, how crossable a stretch of watercourse was ... I still think it's a good idea, don't know why it isn't used more often in rules.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Orcs

Quote from: Chris Pringle on 30 August 2019, 12:13:21 PM
For the Warring Empires rules I wrote years ago, rather than variable movement, I had variable terrain effects: you didn't know until you actually moved troops into it and rolled the dice whether a given village would be a mere speedbump or a stone-walled fortress, or whether a patch of woods would be easy open going or dense, slow and liable to make troops emerge in the wrong direction, how crossable a stretch of watercourse was ... I still think it's a good idea, don't know why it isn't used more often in rules.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Yes we sometimes use that for watercourses when playing most rule sets.  I also used to like the Principles of war rules where you through or an adjustment to the quality of your troops when they were first fired at. Both seemed to work well 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

We do something similar with wooded areas.