Salem Church 1863 (a boardgame)

Started by Norm, 26 August 2019, 07:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

26 August 2019, 07:18:00 PM Last Edit: 26 August 2019, 07:24:40 PM by Norm
It is a while since I looked at this, so had another crack and took some notes while playing.

I enjoyed all of the local nuances that fell out of play, though my ending was a disappointment, based on my instance as the Union Commander on getting the Union Train off the map and my failure as the Confederate Commander to keep the Orange Plank Road blocked. I was playing solo:-)

There were several moments in the game that could well make a good basis for a tabletop battle. I am thinking about doing the Confederate attack against Newton at Salem Church.

If interested my observations are on my blog page at the below link;

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2019/08/salem-church-1863.html

Steve J

As always Norm, a good and informative read. I too thought that some of the action would work well with figures on the tabletop.

d_Guy

Interesting. Always appreciate your clear explanations of key elements of the game mechanics (always looking for sparkly bits to snag). I like your admission that even we solo players can be so absorbed with crushing a portion of the enemy that we lose all strategic perspective.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Westmarcher

Yes, that was interesting. Fascinating for me also in that I've driven through there a number of times.  Only being vaguely aware that some form of action took place along that road, I often wondered what had gone on in the vicinity of that highway away back in 1863.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

Another excellent and interesting review, Norm. :)

Cheers - Phil

mmcv