New Ancient Persians!

Started by Leon, 25 August 2019, 11:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kassad

2011 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 26 August 2019, 11:54:53 AM
Those Greeks are much better with the larger aspis.

Thanks, Techno.

You're welcome, Nobby....(I thought aspis were bees...and I'd b*ggered up something else.)  :P

Quote from: FierceKitty on 26 August 2019, 11:35:16 AM
The Greeks do still need at least one thureophoros - one of the defining Hellenistic troop types.

I'm pleased to say that I'm back on 'fantasy' figures for a while......So I don't have to pester Will about stuff I know bog all about. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Mr Far-too-hot-at-the-momement !

Leon

Quote from: Leman on 26 August 2019, 07:59:05 AM
Terrific looking figures and authentic looking too - a vast improvement on my old 15s, which I am now considering off-loading. Is there a future range of Alexandrian Macedonians planned?

There will be, along with revamping the Indian range as well.  We've put them on the backburner slightly while we do some Fantasy work for the rest of the year, but we'll come back to them in early 2020.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: mad lemmey on 26 August 2019, 12:42:27 PM
Ian, yes.
And2mm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!! The thought of doing an approximation of the embroidery in 2mm !!
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

irregularwars

Yes, those Greeks are now splendid. The Persians are neat too.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

There were a couple of bits on the chariot that, in the end, I thought.....Arghhh! X_X

I spent a fair old time doing teeny winged lions,* in relief, on each side panel......Forgetting that the bloomin' wheels will hide them. :'( :'( :'(

But I'm very pleased everyone seems to like the figures !! ......Thanks for the kind comments, all !

(*....Well...they looked like winged lions, in the piccies I looked at !) ;)

Cheers - Phil

toxicpixie

They look cracking! Shame I just did them in 1/72nd plastic >_<
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Dunnadd

The infantry and riders are all decent and very nice variety of troops types. What I'm going to say now may be a bit cheeky, but I mean well. Since Pendraken owns the former Tridente Bologna lines now though, would you be able to use their figures as the base for new ranges, as you seem to basically do conversions of existing figures. T.B line figures are just better figures - i understand that may be because they just took more time over each sculpt (and maybe that's why they went out of business). But doing conversions from them would give you a better base figures to work from - and horses whose leg positions don't look not quite right.

Leon

Quote from: Dunnadd on 01 September 2019, 11:25:03 PM
...as you seem to basically do conversions of existing figures.

I'm not sure I follow on this bit, all of these revamped Ancients are brand new sculpts?  They've got the same dolly/mannequin underneath them to save time/money but they're all built up from there?

We could look at using some of the TB figures as a base, but it's not quite as simple as that.  If you're wanting a very similar troop type then it's quite feasible to use an existing figure and adjust it to the new requirements.  But as soon as you need more than a superficial adjustment (changing mail to padded jacket, removing armour) then you've got to grind off the surface of the entire figure to remove a layer of metal.  If you don't do that then the added putty on top makes the finished sculpt look far too bulky and out of proportion.

...and horses whose leg positions don't look not quite right.

Horses are a much easier option and can we can look at using those at points in the future.  We've not considered it for the Ancients ranges as we wanted the horse poses to all match across the ranges already done, so we've kept with the existing horse dollies so far.  When we move forward into the Dark Ages we can have a look at some different dollies for the horses if need be.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

FierceKitty

I'm very happy with my Pendraken figures on the whole, as my collection must make clear, but I do like the idea of seperate horses and riders so irregular cavalry look more varied. Detailed painting of horse furniture would be more feasible too (just to show Leon he's not alone in knowing the word).

Orcs

T.B line figures are just better figures -

I think its because they are slightly larger sculpts, you can see the detail more easily.

If you look closely at the new  Pendraken stuff they are as good as  all of the 10mm figures out there. 

Some of these figures ranges are 20 odd years old, and due to improvement in techniques in the manufacture over the last 20 years they show their age. Hence the time for revamping the older ranges. 

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

When will the Ancient Greeks and Persians be available
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty