Windows updates.

Started by Techno, 20 July 2019, 07:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Hoo sodding Ray.

Finally been able to stop the PC from telling me there were important updates, every time I shut it down. X_X.....and then refusing to do the update, when I 'asked it to'.

I tried manually downloading said update a couple of days ago.....and it just 'stalled ' at 99%.

After half an hour, I gave up.

This morning 'whoosh'....Sorted !!  :) :)

I mean....Why ?

Cheers - Phil ;)

Steve J

Tis beyond the ken of man!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Not had that problem for awhile on the laptop, but get it all the time with games on the kindle.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

I try to avoid updates like the plague as they have a tendency to send my computer into a tizzy.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

"To err is human, for a real f**k up you need a computer!" :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Techno

Ain't that the truth !!  X_X

;D ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: Leman on 20 July 2019, 11:29:38 AM
I try to avoid updates like the plague as they have a tendency to send my computer into a tizzy.

Without wishing to tempt fate....I haven't had that problem for a good while.
You wait.....I'll be whinging away for about this, soon. =)

The only common 'blip' I get, is that once in a while, the PC tells me the card games package I've got loaded, needs me to have a more up to date OS (?) than Windows XP, or something even more ancient.

Eh ?......Excuse me ?

This only ever happens first thing in the morning..On initial start-up,,,.And it just means shutting the PC down and starting again.

Cheers - Phil

andys

As irritating as Windows 10 can be sometimes, Android on the Samsung tablet I use when travelling drives me insane(r). I've no idea how to shift stuff from the in-built drive to the mini-SDHC card I bought and bunged in it when I first bought it, so that was a bit of a waste of dosh. All not helped by it not having a mouse attached - I REALLY can't be doing with swiping across the screen and tapping it to do things. How many times do I manage to tap it wrong and it does something weird?! The lack of a separate keyboard - Foxtrot Foxtrot Sierra.

Got loads of Kindle books on it but no idea how to move them to the SD card nor whether the OS will realise I've done so and thus "lose" anything I might move. As for doing anything serious on it, forget it, just not possible for me. OK for simple surfing and reading and that's about it.

Still, easier than dragging a lappy around, so not all bad? Errm. Yeah...

Norm

Got rid of my Windows 10 last year as it spent half its life locked up while updating - went over to a Chromebook for my desktop solution .... no regrets. I have it output to a large monitor via HDMI. iPad for everything else. Tech life is suddenly a lot less frustrating.

Only downside is that you need a big PC or Mac for heavy lifting such as game design, big map building and counter artwork etc, but as I am no longer doing that, then the solutions meets my needs.

Smoking gun

The only thing I use my old windows laptop for is to keep my satnav updated. I've been using a Chromebook for around 4 years now and would never go back to windows as an operating system.

Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

Noktu

I am very pleased with Windows 10 and would never turn my coat. I'm sad that you have had problems with it, could it be that the operating system is too heavy on the computer?

Also, you need to keep your OS updated! For someone having problems running Windows on their PC/laptop, I'd suggest googling up a guide, of how to reduce the memory/graphics related impact Windows has.

You might find that it improves the quality of life for quite a bit. And might fix problems regarding updating aswell.

Techno

I'm not sure if you had joined the forum, when I had a REAL moan about Windows 10, Atte.

I'll be sticking to 8.1 for as long as possible. :D

Cheers - Phil