Aldi stone spray paint

Started by Wulf, 12 August 2019, 08:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

Anyone seen or even tried this stuff?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/deco-style-upcycling-spray-paint/p/014353297974100

There's a Light Stone & a Dark Stone, they look interesting. Possibly useful for rock faces or buildings. At just £4 each, I'll be getting some tomorrow to test.

Sunray

Could be useful.  B&Q once did a "sandstone" that was ideal for desert sands.  Keep us posted on paint trails.

Wulf

13 August 2019, 10:50:07 PM #2 Last Edit: 13 August 2019, 10:52:53 PM by Wulf
Well apparently I've reached my hosting limit on Photobucket for this month (apparently I've used 45 Mb of 25Mb bandwidth...) so I can't show you the pictures...

I warmed the cans in a basin of hot water for a few minutes, then shook each thoroughly for 2 full minutes (switching hands every 30 seconds - it's quite tiring!) Thanks to Mel the Terrain Tutor for persuading me to treat spray cans properly, the results are vastly superior.

It sprays on very foamy, and my first thought was "Well, bugger, that's crap..." However, now that it's partially dry some hours later, it's looking much better. The flakes, especially the white bits, look way too big for 10mm scale, but overall it looks OK to good. It does seem to take a LONG time to dry -some 2 hours later it still feels wet, although none came off on my finger when I prodded it. I haven't sprayed it on thickly enough - or else it needs a few thin coats - since the bare walls of the buildings (I sprayed some 3d printed buildings) are still visible. I'll give it another coat tomorrow.

Apparently Wilco do a similar spray, a work colleague took a picture of the can on the shelf (they're beginning to suspect my secret life...) and it looks to be a mid grey, halfway between these two.

Overall... a tentative success so far.

lowlylowlycook

Quote from: Wulf on 13 August 2019, 10:50:07 PM
Well apparently I've reached my hosting limit on Photobucket for this month (apparently I've used 45 Mb of 25Mb bandwidth...) so I can't show you the pictures...
25 Megabytes of bandwidth?!?!?

If ever there was a case for a Austen Powers meme...

The stone texture spray they have here in the US sounds similar in that it goes on a bit weird (I find pulsed fire distributes the flakes better) and takes a while to dry.  It also happens to be safe to spray onto styrofoam.  In my tests it wasn't nearly as good at sticking to foam as SuperDeck which is a paint for putting on wood decks/docks/patios or whatever is outdoors.

I ended up using it as a quick way to add some texture to some tree armatures.

Wulf

Further testing. Having decided the effect was good, but needed more body, I decided to give the two buildings a second coat, while prepping another 2 with a primer (Halfords White primer), and giving them a single coat. The primed buildings proved better than the unprimed original grey printed buildings that the paint had adequate pigment to cover the surface, but the texturing is still incomplete with only 1 coat. With 2 coats the effect is very very nice indeed, even with just one it looks good, but you can see the 3d printing layering. I think I prefer the dark stone on the white primer. The Wilco version, while more expensive at around £6 compared to £4, may be a nice mid tone. These ones take a helluva long time to dry, I could only apply one coat per day.

Again, I have exceeded my hosting limit, but I can still post links. Please pardon the parcel taped roofs, I was masking them to stop textured paint getting on them. Unlike the first time, I've left the tape on (it's a damn nuisance to apply) in case I want to spray another coat. Actually, where the tape has gone on smoothly in large pieces, it looks pretty good with the slight overspray!

https://beta.photobucket.com/u/WulfC/p/4279bc63-9d27-4acd-89ec-7a63c815e7a2
https://beta.photobucket.com/u/WulfC/p/cf0f62eb-b253-4895-a879-8ecb4de4c053
https://beta.photobucket.com/u/WulfC/p/9c6d6ab5-4d0d-4252-9cef-28b2b17b84b7

paulr

That is definitely an impressive effect from a spray can :-bd =D> :-bd =D>
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Totally agree, Paul.  :)

Cheers - Phil

Jim Ando

It looks great.  Would be good for desert Adobe buildings and walls.

Jim