Best Boy ...

Started by Big Insect, 07 August 2019, 02:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

I am looking for a 28mm figure of a boy in late C15th upper class dress. Any suggestions?

I had it in my mind that Front Rank did a model - along with a mounted noble lady on horseback - but I am blowed if I can find it on their website.

Thanks

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Big Insect

I'll check them out Lemmey - although I am lobbying Perry Miniatures to do a Yorkist Pretender Command pack to add to their great range of existing WotR command packs.

As I want to use this figure as Lambert Simnel on a mixed command base

Thanks
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Assault Group also have 28mm tudors
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

Casting room miniatures also do a fair bit of civilians! They have a street urchin pack as well, although those boys are not dressed like upper class  ;D

Big Insect

I have the TAG Tudors - they are too late for my Yorkist Pretender project - more based on Henry VIIIs expedition to France and the Cowdry House mural - lovely figures though. But they don't do any civilians either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowdray_engravings

Mirliton do nice 28mm medieval civilians but they are too early and too urchin like.
I have used one in my 'Valhalla Rising' 28mm Viking berserker unit - as the small boy - "does the mute have a name?" - great film - some of the best film representation of 2 handed axe fighting I've seen - but certainly not for the faint hearted!

The quest continues

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Along similar lines - just bought a box of Warlord Dacian nobles - comes with 4 sprues of 10 plastic figures, 2 complete metal ones and 9 ? upper bodies which need legs and bases or a horse to sit on if I get cavaly legs. (Question mark on numbers is due to counting then on a Merseyrail from Chester to Liverpool)  So is there anywhere I can get suitable legs ? would prefer infantry types.

TIA

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Raider4

There are some civilian packs in the Foundry range: link.

Don't know if any of these are suitable?

Big Insect

Thanks Raider - but no - no young lad in upper class dress, unfortunately.

mollinary

Perhaps you could use a 20mm adult?
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Thought the same, mollinary ... but couldn't source one. 20mm or 1/72nd all seem to be combat types.

I imagine the ten year old (or so) Simnel would be kept well back and probably not in armour. I may well be wrong!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Big Insect

I rather like the Victorian illustration of a youngster (Simnel), in noble civilian dress, being hoisted on the shoulders of an Irish Kern and pronounced King of Ireland. (I'd post it up but just cannot get the hang of how to do that here!).

I'll send that one to the Perry's as, along with an armoured Swiss mercenary noble on foot to represent Martin Scwartz; four of English armoured nobles (again on foot) to represent: John de la Pole, Earl of Lincoln, Viscount Lovell, Sir Richard Harleston, the former governor of Jersey and Thomas David, a captain of the English garrison at Calaisa, along with an Irish Noble (probably in Galloglass armour) to represent Sir Thomas FitzGerald of Laccagh, it would make a very fine command group.

I also like the C15th rhyme "The Cat, the Rat and Lovel our Dog, Doe rule all England under a Hog" -  William Catesby, Richard Ratcliffe and Vicount Lovel (NB: Lovel's crest was a silver wolf-dog). All were close associates of Richard III - with Catsby being executed after Bosworth and  Ratcliffe being killed in the battle. Lovell went on to play a leading part in the Lambert Simnel rebellion but he disappeared after fleeing the battlefield of Stoke Field and was never seen again. More than 200 years later, in 1708, the skeleton of a man was found in a secret chamber in the family mansion at Minster Lovell in Oxfordshire and it was supposed that Lovell had hidden himself there and died of starvation, but that all seems highly unlikely. But another good WotR yarn.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Here you go

EDIT: Curses, beaten to it by fsn! :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Think they could have found a horse!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!