Painting Horn?

Started by Big Insect, 06 August 2019, 02:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

06 August 2019, 02:50:45 PM Last Edit: 06 August 2019, 02:53:22 PM by Big Insect
Yes, yes, yes ... let's get the jokes out of the way now shall we  ;D

This post is about guidance/thoughts on how to paint split horn armour.
I am embarking on a 28mm Sarmatian army project - Sarmatians being hard charging, ancient nomatic, horse culture, from just north of the Black Sea.
In the 2nd centuary AD Pausanias describes their armour as follows:

"These mares they not only use for war, but also sacrifice them to the local gods and eat them for food. Their hoofs they collect, clean, split, and make from them as it were python scales. Whoever has never seen a python must at least have seen a pine-cone still green. He will not be mistaken if he liken the product from the hoof to the segments that are seen on the pine-cone. These pieces they bore and stitch together with the sinews of horses and oxen, and then use them as breastplates that are as handsome and strong as those of the Greeks. For they can withstand blows of missiles and those struck in close combat."

Trajan's column also shows Sarmatian heavy cavalry - as both allies and enemies - with scale armour for rider and horse (although the sculpture was clearly working from a poor 2nd hand interpretation of what the horse armour looked like). Anyway ... I digress.

My question is around what colour paint, to use to depict this horn scale armour.
Pausanias' observation that they looked like green pine cones is a starting point, but that doesn't necessarily mean the armour looked green.
I had thought about a light/very pale khaki might work, but I am not sure.

Anybody have other thoughts?
Thanks

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Matt J

I think he means green pine cone as in one that hasn't opened.

My own thoughts are that the Smartian armour was painted, hell they painted everything those days, can't image cavalry running around in just drab split hoof coloured armour. Have absolutely no evidence for this but would look damn cool and no b*gger could argue otherwise  :D
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Techno

Quote from: Matt J on 06 August 2019, 03:08:03 PM
Have absolutely no evidence for this but would look damn cool and no b*gger could argue otherwise  :D

What about the photographic evidence ?  ;)

I totally agree with you, Matt.....Going so far back, an awful lot of this has to be 'best guess'.....But who really knows for certain.

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hooves are either a bone colour or brown/Black basically finger nail/ceratine again.
There I was planning to paint mine bronze...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Big Insect

I am with you on the painted (or maybe lacquered?) idea Matt, far more colourful. And yes, I agree green as in immature not necessarily green in colour.

Can you dye horn? I have no idea.

On the bronze scales Lemmey - maybe for the riders and maybe for the elite ones at best I'd suggest - but the general view I get from my reading is that this is not a very wealthy or metal rich culture.
The Sarmatians, or a branch of them ultimately become Alan (or Alani) and the western branch heads off into Brittony and even joins the Vandals in crossing to North Africa. We know little about them except that they seem to have been mounted archers (in N.Africa anyway). The Eastern branch are around until the C12th/C13th as they team up with the Catalans in Byzantine service, and then fall out with the Catalans (but everybody does!) but they are armoured in iron mail and use lances by that time.

Sarmatians were thought to be the originator of the 'dark age' Gothic horseman - and it is Sarmatians (& Goths) that inspired Tolkien's Rohan.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Ithoriel

Close up of Javanese scale horn armour - looks like ML may not be far off.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Big Insect

Very interesting Ithoriel - thank you

More of a golden honey colour, than a flat green/white of a 'horn on the hoof', so to speak.

Whilst looking to see if dyeing horn was possible I came across the Worshipful Company of Horners - now why didn't I think of them in the 1st place ... Doh!!!
https://www.modip.ac.uk/exhibitions/natures-plastic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Fab site BI

Blimey, I got something right!  :o
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Terry37

I have seen the reference to "green" scale armor, but cannot help but think that is in error, unless they dyed it. All the hooves I've ever seen are a khaki to a taupey-gray color. So that is what I would use. I also use these colors for painting the hooves of my horses.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Noktu

If you're after a boney look. I'd probably do a base of Army painter Skeleton Bone (Beige). Proceed to Wash with AP Strong or Soft Tone, highlight 50/50 Beige/white mix. A final highlight just a point dabbed with white or 80/20 white/beige mix.

And if you want to paint fast, beige base, white drybrush on top, wash with AP soft/strong. Mid brown wash could also work.

Big Insect

Thanks Noktu

Speed but a nice effect is important as there are over 54 28mm cavalry involved in the army! Before the 3 command bases and a couple of light cavalry types. It's a pretty binary army.

Cheers

Mark

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Only 54 ? Given the distance in time and lack of evidence I'd say any colour you want it ! The usual problem being that as ancients dyes weren't colourfast they faded fast.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021