Opolochenie - what to do?

Started by Not Drowning, Waving, 06 August 2019, 12:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not Drowning, Waving

So these guys were the Russian militia called up to defend the Mother/Fatherland especially in the great patriotic war of 1812. There was a variety of weaponry, from pikes, muskets, axes, and in true Russian style, wooden musket stocks with spears/spear tips lashed onto them. If you are interested the Perry twins do a nice version in 28mm.
But how to replicate in the one true scale of 10mm?
Any ideas gratefully received.

Aksu

Some command packs might have useful pike type figs, such as NPR7 Prussian landwehr.
Aksu

steve_holmes_11

Was going to recommend Prussian Landwehr - Long "Litewka" jacket's fairly close to the Russian Kaftan, right sort of peaked hat.

My understanding is that the "pikes" were about the length of an ancient army long spear.
As for the musket barrel with an attached spike a musket with attached bayonet is probably close enough.

Final note, these guys didn't show up in massive numbers in battles - but did a lot of sapper and line of communication work.

Therefore you shouldn't need masses of them.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Or the League of Augsberg armed presents, again
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

GrumpyOldMan

Hello LPWC

A few ideas:-

from the TB line Eastern European - armed peasants:-

Renaissance Polish,

Renaissance Ottoman

WW1 Russian (RP6 greatcoat and fur hat, on the left)

2nd Afghan War RA3 Infantry in lambskin cap

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Not Drowning, Waving

Thanks for all these suggestions!
I had started to think about the Landwehr and then got seduced by the LOA grumpy old peasants, and would never have thought of RA3. Between these I should surely get some Opolochenie units together.
The officers should be easy as many were older Russian commanders who had kept their early 1800 uniforms, and proxies should be easy to find.

Will look at them closely over the weekend, once the terrible curse of work is momentarily lifted.
Cheers to you all.
LPWC