Advance on Leith games

Started by pierre the shy, 04 August 2019, 06:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Thanks for posting this - its a very nicely presented scenario.

A couple of questions.
What do the coloured squares represent on the force lists?
The melee weapons rule - I can't see this on d Guy's blog - is it an extra one-use melee roll, like lancers, or good horses?

We haven't decided what we are playing Friday, this might be an option.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

d_Guy

12 August 2019, 12:51:50 PM #33 Last Edit: 12 August 2019, 12:54:17 PM by d_Guy
Hi Fred.

My blog is slowly getting reorganized and I have a number of pages turned off. Here are the FK&P local rules:
https://inredcoatragsattired.com/for-king-parliament-local-rules/
All are very much experimental, particularly the MW*. Peter worked them into this scenario very cleverly. He allows them to be added to three-hit units (one per Scots infantry brigade). Peter and Paul were undecided as to whether to take the one VP on it’s immediate loss or four VP when the unit to which it is attached is lost. Not a trivial question in a close run game.  :) (P&P, hope I have described this correctly).

Peter sent me the Scenario late last week and it is very well thought-out, hope he’ll share it with the world.

*MW melee weapons. If this should ever be generally adopted, Simon has indicated he would like a “sexier” name in keeping with the style of FK&P.   :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

fred.

Thanks D Guy. Quite an involved rule - will have to have a proper think about it (and revisit the standard FKAP special rules)

As to names Targeteers is one used in other rules to represent troops equipped or trained for anti-pike work.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

d_Guy

I have now updated the above link for the Celtic Fringe rules document. The direct link to the downloadable PDF is here:
https://inredcoatragsattired.files.wordpress.com/2019/08/optional-fk5e0p-rules-for-the-celtic-fringe-2.pdf

MW is now called Ax, Knyf and Swerd  {AKS}

paulr

Hi d_Guy, I was going from memory, it was/is clear in the rule :-/ :)

Some of the optional rules are a little involved but so long as they don't apply to too many units they don't seem to negatively impact play :-B
They definitely add extra flavour to the Scottish units :)

fred.

Hi Chaps

We are going to play this scenario tonight, and I am just going through the deployment instructions - and from reading them, I had one understanding, and from now looking at the photos, this understanding is clearly wrong. So can I suggest the following updates to the deployment notes.

Covenanters

Currently 3rd paragraph "Colonel John Innes's Brigade and the Earl of Leven's brigade can deploy up to two squares deep anywhere on the Eastern half of the table (North is top)."

Suggested wording "Colonel John Innes's Brigade and the Earl of Leven's brigade deploy on the Northern edge of the table, up to two squares onto the table, but only on the Eastern half of the table (North is top)."

From my initial reading I had these brigades anywhere on the Eastern half of the table, and was a little confused be the two squares deep reference.

Parliamentary Army
2nd para - currently - "Colonel Monck's Brigade must begin deployed up to two squares deep to the South of Jock's Lodge,...."

Suggested wording "Colonel Monck's Brigade must begin deployed on the Southern edge of the table, up to two squares onto the table, and to the South of Jock's Lodge, ..."

From my initial reading, I had these troops directly south of Jock's Lodge in the hedged area. Which then put Lambert much further forward.

Hope this helps.

d_Guy

16 August 2019, 04:44:29 PM #38 Last Edit: 16 August 2019, 05:22:12 PM by d_Guy
Hi Fred,

Thanks, I am just now setting up the game as well. I had a similar initial impression about Parliamentarian deployment until I looked at Peter’s pictures. With the guns deployed well forward on the slopes of Arthur’s seat, I thought it quite likely that the infantry (at least) would also be forward deployed (Peter, that was the thought I shared about possible “co-mingling” the opposing forces). Peter’s pictures and Fred’s suggested wording make things clear.

Allowing only Forlorns to operate on the slope boxes prevents the Parliamentarian guns from being precariously exposed - a nice scenario adjustment by Peter.

I had minor confusion about Cromwell’s and Lambert’s brigades in the OoB not having command figures specifically indicated. Clearly these two worthies are present.  :)

Looking forward to playing and also seeing your report Fred.

fred.

I suppose Monck's FH could be deployed up with the guns? Would probably make sense.

Cromwell and Lambert's stats are listed in the grey bands. But I normally list the Brigade, and then list the commander separately.

One further question on the Scots Lancers - these are shown with 2 too hit cards, but normally Scots horse class as poorly mounted, so would only get 1 to hit card. Is this a deliberate change or an oversight?

d_Guy

Fred - Table VII (Page 66) has them as 2 to-hit. page 17 also states they are to be treated a Swedish Horse (they are, however "poorly mounted"). I think this came up in the proofreading phase, but I think 2 to-hit is correct. Mollinary may be along to comment.

paulr

Hi Fred & d_Guy,

it will be very interesting to see how your games go.

Fred, your wording looks to be clear than the 'original' ;)
The Parliamentary Forlorn hope are deployed with the artillery on Arthur's seat

You have both managed get the deployment the same as we used :)

The Scots Lancers only get 2 dash due to their poor mounts but do get 2 to-hit.

pierre the shy

Thank you both for trying the scenario....I will reword the deployment instructions but looks like you both got what I intended as who deploys where. The English Artillery and both Forlorn Hopes must deploy on Arthur's Seat. They are a sideshow to the main event.

Please let me know how you get on.....any constructive ideas for refining it are always welcome.

The Scots Lancer's stats are correct, they get 2 to hit cards as per the table on Pg 66 of the rulebook.

Cheers
Peter
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

fred.

Hi Peter, the deployment was cleared up by the photos of your game - I suppose it's one of those things that one you know the two forces are on the opposite sides it's quite obviuos, but with the complex deployment of the cavalry I guess I was over thinking it

I'll do a proper write up late, but ***SPOILERS*** it didn't go well for the Scots!

Scots Lancers, I'm comfortable with them getting 2 to-hit cards, what had made me question it was this on p17

"Scots horse are poorly mounted and consequently less effective in melee, hitting on a single 8+ (9+ when disordered) card instead of the more usual two. "

paulr

I see what you mean Fred, like most sets of rules there are a few areas in FK&P that could be a bit clearer :-\

Having said that, they give a really good game :)

Looking forward to your proper write up :)