Looking for an armoured elephant - NOT elefant!

Started by GrumpyOldMan, 02 August 2019, 11:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: Bren on 22 August 2019, 10:54:17 AM
Reiver stopped stocking them quite a while ago; I had been thinking about a Qin Chinese army but left it too late so I have been hoping to see them available again myself. Apparently Peter Foggin withdrew them from Reiver as he had plans to sell through his own website/webstore but it has yet to surface.

Hello Bren

Jumping to another topic entirely - oh look a butterfly - did you see that Warmonger are getting 3d models done for printed masters (I think Clibinarius was also talking about trying this) for a Qin army. Be interesting to see how it works out.

https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/2019/08/crossbowmen-from-warmonger-miniatures.html

Not sure about the left handed crossbowmen though  :D. But that's something that's easily fixed in 3d graphics.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

I would imagine that those are the computer graphics for the models, rather than pictures of the actual models ? :-\

They look a little bit 'too clean' for metal figures at that size ?

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Must say, Mr Kwang-Min at bottom right seems to be loading a javelin into his crossbow.

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 23 August 2019, 10:36:23 AM
Must say, Mr Kwang-Min at bottom right seems to be loading a javelin into his crossbow.

All of the quivers seem to be holding three to four foot long "bolts" so perhaps they are double armed with crossbow and javelins? :-)

Nice figures none the less.

Museum Miniatures 15mm Sumerian range, also computer designed, have a similar crisp look.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Bren

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 23 August 2019, 12:11:53 AM
Hello Bren

Jumping to another topic entirely - oh look a butterfly - did you see that Warmonger are getting 3d models done for printed masters (I think Clibinarius was also talking about trying this) for a Qin army. Be interesting to see how it works out ...

Hi Grumpster,

Yep, I've been keeping an eye on those on the wide, wide world of web. Some of the 3D renders appearing these days are superb; how much of the detail which can be reproduced in casting will be interesting.

Another elephant possibility could be the TB line ones should there be any demand to make them available in the future (where they in the Carthage line?), although I don't recall how well armoured they were.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Bren on 23 August 2019, 12:41:25 PM

Another elephant possibility could be the TB line ones should there be any demand to make them available in the future (where they in the Carthage line?), although I don't recall how well armoured they were.

Species?

Bren

African, by the look of it. I searched for images and found an original pic on TMP.

GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: FierceKitty on 23 August 2019, 10:36:23 AM

It must be remembered that these 3d renders are being shown here at roughly 400% actual size. If you drop the size of the image down things appear more 'wargame normal' and castable:-

Techno

Agreed, Vic. :)

My own view is that they're trying to put too much super-fine detail in the models, which will lost, or, in practical terms, become invisible when it comes to painting them.

Just my two pees worth.

Cheers - Phil

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: Techno on 24 August 2019, 07:56:01 AM
Agreed, Vic. :)

My own view is that they're trying to put too much super-fine detail in the models, which will lost, or, in practical terms, become invisible when it comes to painting them.

Just my two pees worth.

Cheers - Phil

Hello Phil

I've got to agree with your agreement  :D.

Yes, you've got to limit what you try to put into a figure that will be eliminated by the mould making/casting. Having super fine lamellar armour in the 3d render is great but if the indentations disappear from the 3d printing, moulds, etc  then that has defeated the purpose. So yes you might end up with chainmail (here kitty, kitty) with fist sized links (necessary exaggeration here)  but you can print mould and cast it so it can be painted and recognisable. Still I'm going to play around with it to see what can be done. There's free software available, Sculptris and Meshmixer and I'll have a look.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

FierceKitty

Techno

I'm glad you're agreeing with my agreement, Vic.  ;D  ;D

I agree. ;)

With the super fine detail.....even if 'something' was just visible in the impression in the rubber mould....By the time the 'releasing agent' (talcum powder, or equivalent) was slapped on the mould....that'd lose some of the detail....and by the time an undercoat was put on the model......Would there be anything left ?
Apparently the human eye can't see anything smaller than 40 microns.....And some of those 'dents' defining the 'scale armour'...........

Be interesting to see what you can achieve. :)

(Kitty.....stop scratching the furniture !!......And I nearly typed loose, instead of lose, again...Obviously got a 'blind spot' as far as those words are concerned. X_X)

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

I'm not scratching the furniture, I'm scratching GOM (or does he count as furniture?).