Looking for an armoured elephant - NOT elefant!

Started by GrumpyOldMan, 02 August 2019, 11:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

I seem to be lurking here and talking about non-Pendraken products, I hope I don't suffer. =)

Looking for an armoured elephant for a project, seen the MM Seleucid one and not really impressed. Also the Irregular Arab (Ghaznavid type) is not hitting the sweet spot. Can't seem to find a picture of their Armoured Mogul elephant, am I right in assuming that it's the same base elephant as the Arab one? Any other ideas on what's available?

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Terry37

Not sure what scale you're looking for, but Essex offers a 15 MM armored Mogul elephant in 3 different versions based on the riders.

https://www.essexminiatures.co.uk/collections/15mm-renaissance-moghul-indians?page=2

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

FierceKitty

My Seleucids have six MM jumboes, which I'm very happy with, though I didn't use their crews.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

Thanks for the replies, looking for something like:-

I was looking at the Irregular Armoured Mogul Elephant (scan of old catalogue picture of Arab elephant attached) and was wondering if their Mogul elephant was the same as this but with a howdah.

Thanks again for the suggestions but looking for an armoured elephant. Also hanging out for the old TB Line ones but I'm assuming they are so far down the queue that I'll forget all about them before they're released  ??? ???

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: mad lemmey on 04 August 2019, 10:30:02 AM
There's one in Nantés
https://i.imgur.com/LiRuEbr.jpg

Good thought but too hard to fit on a 40x40 base ;D ;D

Incidentally have had a reply from Ian Kay which said the Mogul elephant IS based on the Arab elephant

Big Insect

When you say you are looking for a Mongol armoured elephant - for which 'army' as I think they will differ significantly depending upon which Mongol kingdom you are talking about.

Somewhere (I will need to do a web-trawl) I have seen a painting/book illustration of a middle-eastern Il-khanate Mongol elephant - but it wasn't armoured. It had a howdah with about 20 crewmen all jammed in it, but looked very much like an arabic version of a standard Indian elephant.

Yuan Mongol elephants were imported from Burma and Vietnam (often as official tribute or gifts) but the only ones I have ever seen illustrations of are unarmoured and appear to have been used ceremonially rather than in battle.

Ghaznavid armoured elephants appear not to have howdahs but 2 crew sitting astride the back &one on the neck. Essex do a good 15mm version. Irregular do the best 28mm version, but I'd replace the 2 crew on the back of the Irregular elephant by the Il-khanate elephant crew that Essex do (& will sell you separately). NB: the Irregular 28mm elephant is a much better scale than the Essex one and considerably cheaper!

I think that you often see modern illustrations of Moghul Indian armoured elephants with howahs, but I have never seen a contemporary illustration with a fighting howdah - but have seen a C17th Moghul illustration of an armoured elephant with a seating platform on its back - a cut down mini-howdah, on which the crewman (singluar) sat crosslegged in.

Many wargames army lists have armoured Moghul elephants with firearm armed crews in howdahs as a requirement ... but I think this is another one of those wargames myths. A bit like Khmer Maiden Guard and light chariots. In later Burmese, Thai and Indian armies the elephants were often accompanied by an Elephant Guard (one for each leg of the beast) and they were armed (very often) with hand-guns or muskets.

Cheers
Mark

Note sure that is much help.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Big Insect

Thinking about it ... the very best armoured 15mm elephant with a howdah I saw was produced by a French manufacturer - Alain Touller (who sadly died in 2015).
His Timurid range was stunning - I just wish I'd had the foresight to buy an army - also his medieval Koreans (the Cataphracts were spot on historically - right down to the elaborate feather streamers on the horses rumps) But sadly they are now out of production. I was interested in buying the masters and molds - but my advances went unanswered.

The Touller Timurid Elephant was fantastic and based on Timurid illustrations - it looked a lot like Moghul soft elephant armour but did have a howdah & crew.
Somebody has also said to me that Khurasan miniatures do an armoured moghul elephant with a howdah that is quite good. But as they can only be ordered from the USA import costs to the UK are a tad expensive.

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Ithoriel

You may already be aware but Khurasan have this Timurid elephant

and these Indian ones

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

In my relentless and undaunted search for a 10mm armoured elephant, (I like to think of myself as strong-willed rather than mulishly stubborn  :D ), I've come across a 10mm manufacturer that I wasn't aware of, Fogg of War that were apparently sold by Reiver. Below is a picture of a green for an elephant. Anybody know about this manufacturer or these figures?

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Terry37

Grumpy,

Could you not take an unarmored 100 MM elephant and with some cold forged thin metal sheeting add the armor. Doesn't sound all the hard as I see it. I would use some bases fomr old 28 or 30 MM figures to cold forge the armor form and then just glue it in place and fill in any seams.

Just a thought,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Bren

Reiver stopped stocking them quite a while ago; I had been thinking about a Qin Chinese army but left it too late so I have been hoping to see them available again myself. Apparently Peter Foggin withdrew them from Reiver as he had plans to sell through his own website/webstore but it has yet to surface.

FierceKitty

I hope Reiver 10mm Chinese do return to the market. Their chariots are super.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.