Dark Ages HOTT

Started by Terry37, 02 August 2019, 06:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

This past Wednesday my friend Paul Potter came over for some help with a project he is working on, needing some uniform info. After we sorted that out, we had time to get in a game of HOTT, which I always find enjoyable, as I think Paul does as well. I believe his army was a Danish dark ages army (Paul is a master of the dark ages, and his general was a specific person but I don't recall who). I decided to field a fairly appropriate army – my King Arthur movie Picts.

Here's Paul making a decisive move early in the game.

A closer view of the battlefield. Paul had primarily Blades and Warband, while I had Warband a Hero and a Behemoth for some hitting power on my side. This picture is taken form my side and you can see my Hero (Guinevere) and my Behemoth on the right end of my flank.

Well into the game, and I have moved one of my Riders and Guinevere to the enemy left flank. I cannot recall exactly, but in looking at this picture I wonder now if I may have violated the rule of hitting his element in the flank???? That being, my Rider would have needed to be fully on his flank before he would be attack. it If I did, then shame on me!!!

The end of it all. I had defeated 12 points of elements, plus his general, by rolling up his left flank with my Rider, Hero and Behemoth. But still feel I may have won erroneously. True it may still have turned out this way, but an erroneous victory is no victory at all!  The fact that Paul seemed to roll an abundance of one's at critical times didn't help him either.

Regardless, I really enjoyed Paul's company and the game, and look forward to the next time!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Steve J

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Terry37

OK, double checked the rules and checked with a fellow HOTT player and seems my move was not illegal per one of the movement diagrams in the rule book. Really relieved to determine that!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Gosh Terry, for a minute there I thought I was looking at me! That does look a good way of getting a quick game in. Must try it with my fellow gamers.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Terry37

Leman, One of the real beauties about the HOTT rules are that they allow for quick and fun games. On a normal game day we'll usually play 3 to 4 games in an afternoon, say noon to 4 PM. I have gotten in some real marathons though and they end up being cliff hangers where the next to lose an element loses the game.  Other pluses are small numbers of figures required, small playing area, can be adapted to real battles, armies can are limited only by ones imagination and can play any period.

Good luck, and have fun!!!

Terry

Leman

Never done anything about it yet, but always had a soft spot for the League of Ratsburg. Do actually own a copy of HOTT.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mmcv

You've almost convinced me to purchase a copy of the rules Terry... I've been a bit of a hoarder of rules (rather than things) lately so can't really justify buying any more right this moment! Soon though.

I was initially put off by the seeming simplicity and generic nature of the rules, but looks like you can get some fun and interesting games out of them. Thanks for sharing your games and projects.

Big Insect

05 August 2019, 12:33:17 PM #10 Last Edit: 05 August 2019, 01:25:58 PM by Big Insect
I would agree that HoTT is one of those sets of rules that just keeps giving & giving.

We held a regular HoTT tournament over 2 days in September for many years, that acted as a focus for players to create and bring along new armies.

I have a 28mm plastic (GW) LotR Goblin army - complete with hordes of goblins, a Great Goblin (warband) General, a Cave Troll (Behemoth) and (of course) a Balrog (as a God - well it is an Entity from the Old World etc). All bought cheap as chips as bits and pieces off eBay. I also had a water lurker and flocks of bats (flyers) as alternatives.

It fought against my Fellowship of the Ring army.

Aragorn (as a Hero General) @ 4pts
Gandalf (Wizard) @ 4pts
Boromir & Gimli (2 x Blades) @ 4pts
Logolas (Shooter) @ 2pts
Sam and Merriy and Pippin ( 3 x Warband) @ 6pts
Frodo (Sneaker) @ 3pts
and Gollum as a Lurker (nasty goblinzziz my precious) @ 1pt - could be a water lurker or a general lurker amongst stones & rubble

I have a Mines of Moria playboard - with columns and rubble, stagnant pools, fissures in the ground with flames shooting out of it. etc.
The Fellowship has Balin's tomb as their camp.
Whilst the Goblins have a pair of Dwarf doors as their Camp

Currently (& I am sad enough to keep a tally sheet) the honors are even between the two armies.
Usually, if the Balrog appears, and stays on-table, the Fellowship is in deep trouble!!!

I also have a victorious 15mm Rohan army:
Theoden (Knight General)
Gandalf (Wizard)
Eomer as a Hero
Eowen with Pippin (Paladin)
and the rest are all Knights
I have the halls of Edoras as my Camp.

My Orc horde is still a work in progress ... but I like the idea as The Lord of the Nazgul as a Aerial Hero General

great fun

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Steve J

Sounds great Mark and very creative :). I have the rules and really should try and get some basic games in...

Big Insect

That sound's like another reason for us to have a game Steve ... as if we needed one  ;)

I'll dig out & dust off all the kit and we can arrange a game - holiday season being upon us that might be a few weeks away but we should make it a goal.
I have other 15mm armies as well I can bring along - a Wood Elf, some 'frosty' ratmen  and a matched pair of Beastmen and Ice-elves ... and probably other ... I just need to dig about in the Tardis like wragames cupboard.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.