Common Era Errors

Started by Westmarcher, 30 July 2019, 02:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

SYW cuirassiers

The cuirass was a breastplate, not a breast-and-back affair, and was almost always painted black.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

steve_holmes_11

Wheatfields.

The current thigh/waist high species are fairly recent, bred for a time of harvesting machines and reduced demand for straw.
Back in the horse and musket era, the fields would have been much closer to the height of a man.

This has implications for cover, visibility, and advantages for the elevation provided by sitting on a horse.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Balrogs - being demonic can grow wings if they want to. Orks - definitely GREEN, GW say so. Orcs of course can be any colour you want.

Until we got chemical dyes in the mid C19th ? not dye was fast, colour changed all the time due to the effect wind and weather, so the bright acrylics we use are wrong. Other things wrong - red stars on Soviet tanks in combat, etc etc. US and Britsh crews mostly painted out their white stars as well, cept for the one on top for air recognition, although tahe was often covered by the fluorescent cloths which were issued for the same reason, pilots could actually see them.

The classic  British police uniform is blue, no it's actually black.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Quote from: FierceKitty on 30 July 2019, 03:12:32 PM
Rather a lot of eras, admittedly. Horses have quite different eyes from ours.

In what way ?

The shape of horses' eyes, from outward appearances, are as different as the outward variations in human eyes.

I've got six of the b*ggers 'in the fields.....and they're all different. There's only one (a little Shetland X) who has what I'd class as a really 'round eye'.)

Cheers - Puzzled of Wales.

Westmarcher

The Shade of Blue in French Revolutionary & Napoleonic uniforms:

Speaking from personal experience, stay away from Humbrol "French Blue."  :-[

The blue uniforms were a lot darker than many of us are aware. Yes, there was some lightening due to sunlight, etc., but if you are going to represent that, remember that the sun does not shine on armpits, in crotches or underneath arms and backpacks (so for small scale figures just forget it). A few colour drawings from the period perpetuate the idea that it was almost a mid-blue shade but the vast majority of paintings, etc., show that it was a very dark blue, almost black. 

To get the idea, refer to paintings painted by artists who actually lived during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars and so, witnessed the colour of the uniforms; artists such as Jacques-Louis David, Antoine-Jean Gros, Francois Gerard and Claude Gautherot.   
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Techno on 31 July 2019, 12:04:30 PM
In what way ?

The shape of horses' eyes, from outward appearances, are as different as the outward variations in human eyes.

I've got six of the b*ggers 'in the fields.....and they're all different. There's only one (a little Shetland X) who has what I'd class as a really 'round eye'.)

Cheers - Puzzled of Wales.

We have strongly defined almonds with a lot of white; surely your gee-gees don't show the pale bit unless they're terrified?

Chris Pringle

Common misconceptions about WWII are that battles were fought by homogenous units armed with standardized equipment, and that most of it the fighting was done by infantry with artillery support, with tanks being a relative rarity.

The truth (as forum dwellers will know) is of course that a typical unit would really comprise one armoured car, two or three tanks all of different types, a platoon of infantry of which one section would be from an elite formation, a field gun and a flamethrower. Battles between these typical units are best represented in 28mm on tables small enough to ensure the field gun has targets in range.

FierceKitty

Aren't you forgetting the off-table naval support of a destroyer, four battleships, and two carriers?

Techno

Quote from: FierceKitty on 31 July 2019, 12:32:14 PM
We have strongly defined almonds with a lot of white; surely your gee-gees don't show the pale bit unless they're terrified?

Absolutely right, Alexander !!  :)

For us.....Our beasts never show the whites of their eyes/roll their eyes..... unless a vet......Or someone who, in their tiny little minds, could be a vet, approaches, sticks on a head collar and  'holds the head down.'

(Then, the poop can hit the fan !) ;D ;D ;D

Ah.....Right..Sorry..... do you mean that folk try and give white dots either side of the pupil ?
In which case, I totally concur !!...That's completely wrong.

(No-one can do that on one of the 'true scale' gee-gees......can they ?).....They're far too small....Surely ?  (And I'll call you Shirley, if I want.) ;)

The majority of horses eyes would 'look' brown/dark brown....Most of the horses I've met/owned have had a darkish brown eye.....(If we ignore the pupil at this scale.)

There are a couple I've 'met' that have had a pale blue/gray iris.....and one with a 'red eye'.

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

Quote from: Techno on 31 July 2019, 01:16:00 PM

(And I'll call you Shirley, if I want.) ;)

Cheers - Phil

OK, just not while my wife's listening, please.

Raider4

Quote from: ianrs54 on 31 July 2019, 11:43:06 AM
Orcs of course can be any colour you want.

Orcs in the Warhammer world are green, those in other imaginary universes may be other colours.

And yes, it's odd about the police thing (although they may be a very, very dark navy?)

Leman

Oh my god! This is OCD paradise!  :d :d :d
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Westmarcher

Obsessive? Compulsive? Disorder?

Embrace it. This sums up this forum and its members.  ;D ;D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Genom

Age of sail, that nice big flag flying off the back of the ship... the wind is blowing towards the sails, otherwise you aint going anywhere.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Genom on 31 July 2019, 06:40:51 PM
Age of sail, that nice big flag flying off the back of the ship... the wind is blowing towards the sails, otherwise you aint going anywhere.

AND the pennant on the mainmast!