Favourite Napoleonic cavalry set

Started by Not Drowning, Waving, 30 July 2019, 10:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not Drowning, Waving

I have just had a close look at the Wurttemberg Jaeger Zu Pferd. They have great movement and have the full complement of Napoleonic splendor. Just superb!

What are your favourite Napoleonic cavalry sets?

Cheers JJ

Zippee

I agree on the Jager zu Pferd - excellent movement, although the Saxon heavies come close, very majestic and the Warsaw uhlans are full of movement, not sure you can beat the French carabinier in bearskins for that heavy look though..

Many are just variations of the usual poses but executed well.

The worst by far are the Austrian cuirassier and dragoon/chevaux leger, c'est la vie  :D

Not Drowning, Waving

Or even c'est la guerre...

Will check out those early carabiners. I couldn't see any of 'the gods' - do people just use early carabiners for both?

I also really liked the sculpting of the Prussian Landwehr cavalry. They seem pretty nonchalant, Lance's upright on a slower stepping horse.

Zippee

Oddly the later Carabinier in that god awful uniform and helmet are in the 1809 range - NPFL41, alongside the chevaux leger lanciers NPF40 - neither available in 1809 of course but hey ho

They are new castings so not really part of the old 1812 Moscow range and there isn't a French element to the 1815 range, so I guess they are stuck in 1809 for now

Not Drowning, Waving

Most peculiar indeed.

Btw I saw the photos of the two carabiner regiments in your Flickr album. Very nicely done.

My next task will be to find proxies for a uniform I don't much care for, but when you do 1813-14 is eventually needed: the Guides regiments. In 18mm I saw someone successfully use Mexican Lancers, but I don't know if they, or another Guides proxy are available in 10mm.

Still I have heaps to be getting on with.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Don't forget the 1870 range has an awful lot of figures that will full in (if you don't mind the lancers hat being slightly smaller etc)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Not Drowning, Waving

Thanks Mad Lemmey had not thought of them as a resource. Will check it out. On the infantry side of things I guess there will be troops in greatcoats - possibly even Bavarians. I wonder if they could be converted to Naps.

Lots of interesting possibilities on the horizon.

Leman

I went the other way and used Napoleonic French Cuirassiers and Dragoons for their 1870 Guard equivalents. The 1848 Danish hussar also makes for a very passable 1859 French hussar.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Not Drowning, Waving

I guess that is one of the advantages of 10mm: big enough to give you a proper human form and definitional uniform details, small enough to hide minor details, meaning big scope for versatility.

But you guys already know that right?