Poles v germans

Started by Jim Ando, 29 July 2019, 08:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Ando

Hi
Played a great game of bkc last night. The germans had to get as many units as possible across a river . The only bridge was well defended by the poles but the germans had two companies of engineers each with a pontoon bridge and two companies of panzers with panzer grenadier support. The game was 10 turns and we got to turn 9 with the game looking like a victory for poles. Then the most extraordinary dice rolling by me the german player , I activated an 88 then limbered it moved it unlimbered it then rolled a double 1 with 2 fire actions followed by another double one with two fire actions. Poles hit their break point then broke in their turn. Unbelievable.
Jim

Steve J

Wow! The Germans certainly left it until the last minute, although I must say I feel sorry for the Poles.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

That kind of thing has been known to put players off BKC (and other Warmaster variants) it just seems a bit too flukey and significant.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Jim Ando

To be honest that's why I love them.
How many flukes happen in war.

Jim

Big Insect

It can work just as bad the other way - I've had a game with an artillery blunder followed immediately by an HQ command blunder and then a CO failing a high CV command roll.
It's at that point I often wonder if I am meant to be playing these sets of rules at all  :'( :'( :'(

However, on another day and other game I can run a set of command rolls down to a 3 (on 2 d6) ... wargaming is a great game at the mercy of the dice.

Glad the game was good - very unlucky for the Poles - nice scenario.

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Smoking gun

Hi, with the old edition (version 2) we limited HQs to 5 successful rolls each to eliminate the fluke game winning serial command rolls.

Not that we achieved 5 successful rolls that often.

Regards,

Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

Jim Ando

Technically it was 5 successfully rolls
Just so happened two of them were double ones
It'll never happen to me again.
I did have 3 blunders aswell.

Jim

steve_holmes_11

Billy Connolly:

Bloke at the Olympics carrying a very ling stick.
Are you a pole vaulter?
No I'm German, but how do you know my name?

Jim Ando

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 31 July 2019, 11:36:21 AM
Bloke at the Olympics carrying a very ling stick.
Are you a pole vaulter?
No I'm German, but how do you know my name?

Coat please  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

Itinerant Hobbyist

26 August 2019, 12:05:25 AM #12 Last Edit: 26 August 2019, 12:08:01 AM by Itinerant Hobbyist
This flukeiness is why I like this game, especially solo.

I've played 20 games, i've Never seen anything this crazy. My point is, it's not so common that it hurts the game, but I completely understand why someone would feel like this is bad aspect of the game.

sultanbev

Using a variant of the command system in my own rules, it is pretty much mandatory to have 6 blunders each per game - if not your're doing it wrong  ;D

I do like the variability, a run of 8 command activations isn't neccessarily useful if all you've got is a couple of Panzer IIs.

WHen CV7 armies are getting 3 activations in a row you know your dice are fully trained  8)

Mark

T-Square

I enjoy this sort of thing during the game.  For me a run of great commands simulates Sargent Shultz giving the troops one hell of a motivational speech or Sargent Rock, bayonet clenched in his teeth, taking immediate action which gets him awarded a VIctoria Cross.

On the other hand several blunders or missed commands in a row simulates the troops, upon hearing Lt. Dumbschizh issue an insane order, stopping and turning around to look at the Sargent.  Upon which the Sergeant "whispers" in the Lieutenant's ear, "Sir, are you out of your #*^%ing mind."  Or words to that effect. *

*Back when I was a fresh caught Navy Lieutenant I worked with a great Master Chief.  I fondly remember when he looked at me and said, "Lieutenant, can I talk to you, sir."  "Sure, Master Chief, what do you got."  "Please, in your office, sir."  I remember thinking, oh, crap, what did I do now.  And he would proceed to explain where I had screwed up.  I learned a lot from that man.