The Battle of Kurudere, 1854 - a BBB AAR.

Started by Steve J, 25 July 2019, 08:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Quote from: Steve J on 26 July 2019, 08:50:28 AM
Glad you enjoyed chaps, as we certainly did. Andy, I'd never considered the Crimea, but I'm going to have a look at the other battles as well as the general history. From a quick search there is a lot more to it than I ever learnt in school!
School history has become naff since the National Curriculum. The study of history is an exercise in developing curiosity as much as anything. Pre-1988 I used to teach about the ACW quite extensively to third years (now Y9 - if the yanks do it then it must be good and slavishly followed), covering all the different aspects of it. When I retired slavery had become the fault of the British Empire and how awful we all were because of it. The ACW was not mentioned at all. I had to cover British history from 1485 to 1914 in the second year (Y8) on two lessons a week. In the following year WWI got a whole term to itself!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Leman on 31 July 2019, 08:17:28 AM
School history has become naff since the National Curriculum.

I may have mentioned this here before: a couple of years ago I reviewed a chapter of the manuscript of a textbook being written for the War and Society curriculum. I caused the authors serious problems because the historical facts I pointed out were at odds with what the curriculum required them to say.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Techno

Quote from: Leman on 31 July 2019, 08:17:28 AM
School history has become naff since the National Curriculum.

I found it totally naff in the sixties......It was SO boring, the only thing I can remember is the 'South Sea Bubble'.

(Just the South Sea Bubble........Not what it was, or anything about it....Just the phrase 'South Sea Bubble'.

Blank knows how I ever got an O level pass in History.

Cheers - Phil

fsn

They thought that after 23 years it was worth it just to get rid of you.  :P
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

You missed a zero there Nobby - the time for his clay tablets to dry enough for marking.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Dave Fielder

I've been inspired to read more into the 1877-78 Russo-Turkish war following this battle and also a holiday in Turkey. Quentin Barry's The War in the East is a very detailed account and captures a lot of the flavour in Balkans and the Caucasus region. The impact of this war led to the instability in the Balkans that started WW1, this sort of information is not being covered in school and hence we are failing to teach and learn about previous mistakes. Looking at the current Euro-babble rhetoric I question if we are yet again sleep walking into European conflict exactly as we did at the start of the 19th Century.

Then again, the uniforms are really interesting and fun to paint, so what-evs.  ;)
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Leman

Late 20s early 30s C20th - recession, austerity, persecution of minorities and big promises made to a gullible public by right wing leaders. Don't think that could ever happen again after what we learned from that!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

ronan

Quote from: Leman on 14 August 2019, 05:17:42 PM
Late 20s early 30s C20th - recession, austerity, persecution of minorities and big promises made to a gullible public by right wing leaders. Don't think that could ever happen again after what we learned from that!

I really hope you're right ......