Am I yearning for Fantasy?

Started by fsn, 22 July 2019, 08:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

23 July 2019, 08:15:02 PM #15 Last Edit: 23 July 2019, 08:27:40 PM by Orcs
Quote from: Raider4 on 23 July 2019, 01:22:51 PM
I don't understand why there's this stigma over things being labelled as 'fantasy'?

No I don't understand it.  Years ago at the club a couple of members were very anti-fantasy, and would not chat to the youngsters playing Warhammer.  One day I walked across to see they were playing DBM Egyptians against Gauls, I could not resist quipping "Oh a fantasy game then !!"
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

I think fondly of Lee, Noemie, Bella, and Tancred....Nude gamers can be sights to compensate for a run of bad dice!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sunjester

Never understood it myself. Not that I've ever been into the Evil Empire TM, but I've happily play all kinds of rpg, skirmish and big battle games.

fsn

I think D&D sort of defined Fantasy, and Games Workshop continues to do so. As a youngster I was a Tunnels & Trolls player, and an avid consumer of JRR.

Sometime around 1980, interest in it just evaporated. I think the addition of such things as a "dwarf on a toilet" and the increasing number of increasingly complicated D&D supplements just made fantasy a bit ... silly.

I have no real animosity to Fantasy, but that probably won't stop me gently pulling legs. It's not something that usually sparks my interest though I can see the attraction of being without historical boundaries. BUT  I think what I'm contemplating is different "periods" of fantasy. Ragnarok, Olympus and Japanese versions*.

*Is it too late to add some kami to the new Japanese list? Maybe an Eastern dragon? 

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Nude gamers - I conjure hippos, rhinoceroses, giraffes with glasses and storks with their feathers blown off.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Last Hussar

I'd love to use Pendraken for RPG, but there is no "adventurers pack",  so I'd have to buy the fantasy command packs of 5 to get 1 or 2 figures,and things like fighters would need to come from the historic packs of 30.

I've wondered why when you do all the dungeon stuff and monsters, there is no party.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

paulr

I suspect because everyone would want a different mix in the party ;)

You could always ask nicely for a 'special order' :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Leon's definitely the man to answer that.  :)

I've got a sneaky feeling that they'll be on my list at some stage.....But that might simply mean converting some of the existing fantasy 'bods'.

I'm sure Leon would let you 'pick and mix' odd figures from the fantasy ranges for now.

What's missing from the fantasy ranges in your 'wish list', LH ?

A wizard in robes.....For certain (I guess).....But what else ? :-\
Thief ? 'Ranger' ?

Cheers - Phil (desperately trying to remember the old D & D 'types'.)

fred.

I think the original Dungeon packs came with packs of adventurers, to there are the figures within the ranges.

Looking at current packs, the Warband command and wizard packs look a good way to get Adventurer figures. You could custom order from them, but at £1.50 a pack, you may as well get the whole pack, gives you some options.

The one I'm struggling to see an obvious figure for is the classic D&D Cleric.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Last Hussar

I think James IV on foot could be used as a fighter. How easy is it to make a mold from exiting figures? Say a couple of dwarves from command, couple of wizards from the elves etc?

I can understand it probably wouldn't be economic given volumes, but I do wonder what the thinking behind those pretty dungeon packs were.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

fred.

28 July 2019, 10:26:19 AM #26 Last Edit: 28 July 2019, 10:35:24 AM by fred.
The historic figures are much smaller than the Warband fantasy ones - think 10mm vs 12mm. But there are loads of possible  fighters in the Dragon men range.

As you mention I think the issue is the practicalities of making packs of adventurers from the existing mould setup.

The TB line ranges probably add some more options too.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

Quote from: fred. on 28 July 2019, 08:27:26 AM
The one I'm struggling to see an obvious figure for is the classic D&D Cleric.

Dragonmen foot knights pack has two figures with maces - bottom row, right hand end - that might do.

The leftmost Dragonman wizard Priest could have his staff snipped to make a convincing mace and have a card shield added if you want a less armoured look.

In the historical ranges there are the Late European monks - priest with a Napoleon complex?? :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

Good spot. Having had a better look at the dragon men foot knights, there are lots of good fighter / paladin figures, and a few that would work with simple conversions of axes to maces as the more militant type of cleric!

The Wood Elf packs work well for Rangers, Thieves etc