6 (28.6%)
Left
1 (4.8%)
Right
9 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: 02 July 2019, 07:20:42 PM

fred.

05 July 2019, 07:52:50 AM #15 Last Edit: 05 July 2019, 08:00:30 AM by fred.
Thanks Will. Very interesting.

I'd spotted the turning circle, but had thought the white mark slightly lower and left right was linked. I certainly hadn't thought the launch ramp was so much further back.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fsn

I was sort of right - but only because of the turning circle clue.

You have to admire the original photo analysts in spotting that. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

I'd read an article about the aircraft 'tipping' the V1's in flight, but it said they would fly in front and disrupt the airflow, rather than physically contacting the V1 wings?  I've always wondered how they were able to match the speed though, as the V1 jet would be travelling up near 500-600mph and faster than a prop aircraft?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Tempest in a shallow dive could keep up, the idea was to get your wingtip under the V1, which would knock the gyroscope off, stopping the bomb flying level and knocking it out the sky, but I suspect most were brought down with cannon, like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZo6SRsrbk
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

d_Guy

Very interesting stuff, Mr Lemmy - thanks!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Leon

Quote from: mad lemmey on 05 July 2019, 04:41:07 PM
Tempest in a shallow dive could keep up, the idea was to get your wingtip under the V1, which would knock the gyroscope off, stopping the bomb flying level and knocking it out the sky, but I suspect most were brought down with cannon, like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZo6SRsrbk

Excellent, thanks!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

John Cook

Interesting imagery.  It helps a lot if you know what you are looking for. Shape, tone, shadow etc., are all very well but in 1943 imagery analysts didn't until other intelligence disciplines provided collateral.  Most allied imagery was also stereo (3D) which makes all the difference.  The imagery as seen here is in mono and the clarity of the original would have been much better.  I'd like a pound for every hour I spent over a hot light table, in and out of uniform.