Rules for LoA

Started by Chad, 20 July 2019, 04:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad

What rules do people use for LoA

fred.

I'm planning to use For King and Parliament - which while an ECW ruleset, would seem easy enough to extend to the LoA period.

I  looked at Baroque, but struggled to understand it as a game.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

I am planning to use Twilight of the Sun King from the Pike and Shot Society for my crack at the Dutch War 1672-78. I will use 60x30 and 60x60 bases, but as the rules work on base widths then anything can be used, but bear in mind that heavy artillery can fire 10BW. A unit can be a brigade for the largest battle or a regiment for smaller battles. Cavalry and infantry units are made up of two bases. I did think about putting pike at adjoining ends of each base, but decided they would look better as a discrete unit on each base, and just go with the brigade approach. If that works fine, otherwise I might use a 75mm frontage (I have a lot of those). They are a very straightforward set where everything revolves around morale, so there are no casualties as such. Thus there is only one table to be consulted - it is pretty big but it is just the one. The advantage over FK&P is the need for far fewer markers.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mmcv

20 July 2019, 06:47:12 PM #3 Last Edit: 20 July 2019, 07:51:27 PM by mmcv
Pike and Shotte works well enough but probably lacks a bit of the flavour of the above-mentioned as it's more generic. Beneath the lily banners is a popular one I believe though haven't played it myself.

Ben Waterhouse

I'm a Lily Banners fellow.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Sandinista

I use Pike and Shotte, quick and simple that give a fun game

Cheers
Ian

Hwiccee

21 July 2019, 09:49:56 AM #6 Last Edit: 21 July 2019, 11:45:15 AM by Hwiccee
We also use the Twilight of the Sun King rules which are for large historic battles done reasonably easily. There is a scenario book with the battles of Fleurus, Boyne, Landen/Neerwinden and Marsaglia in (also scenarios from the WSS). A second book will be out soon with Walcourt, Staffarda, Aughrim, Steenkirk and River Ter (again with more WSS scenarios). There is also a further book on the way with battles form the 1650's - 70's including the Dutch War.

Big Insect

Field of Glory Renaissance (FogR) will work equally well.

I use it for Northern War etc and it seems to give a reasonably quick result and looks realistic.

Cheers
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Leman

Sounds like the third Twiglet scenario book will be the one for me. Might actually have some 1670s Dutch and French by then.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ben Waterhouse

I must say Twiglet is growing on me having bought it, must get the scenario booklets with next month's allowance...
Arma Pacis Fulcra