The forum search button

Started by Dr Dave, 17 July 2019, 05:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Dave

17 July 2019, 05:21:07 PM Last Edit: 17 July 2019, 05:35:22 PM by Dr Dave
I remember someone posting about Rommel - Sam Mustafa's "operational level" rules. The search button reveals nothing for "Rommel", but several hits for Mustafa - the same posts that mention Rommel. What's that  about then? Why doesn't the search find "Rommel"?  >:(

fred.

It seems to work for me. I find lots of posts with Rommel in the title, including ones about the game (which is a game  I really lilke)

What I have found with the search, is that it works much better from the home page. I suspect (but haven't bothered to test) that if you search from a board, the search is constrained to that board.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Dr Dave

You're right. It seems to work best from the top, and not so well once you're in the forum. Odd?

fred.

Just done a couple of tests, and it does seem to be that if you are in a board, the search only returns results for that specific board (and I assume its child boards).

I now always remember to click home, then search.

While I can understand there is some logic to defaulting to search child boards, I'm not sure its what people expect - not sure if this can be configured, or its just home the forum software works.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

Advanced Search seems to work from anywhere with the Check All box ticked.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leon

I've noticed that with the Search as well, so like Fred I always go to the Home page before trying it.  I'll see if I can find any settings in the Admin.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Dr Dave

:D

Now I know what to do, but a fix might make life easier. Cheers.