10mm skirmish (SoBaH)

Started by Jamsus, 17 July 2019, 04:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamsus

17 July 2019, 04:16:57 PM Last Edit: 17 July 2019, 04:25:19 PM by Jamsus
Hello.

After starting BKCIV & Warband i decided that i'm really unsatisfied with 10mm and Pendraken and so i want to start another 10mm project using Pendraken models.

8)

Seriously speaking.

Recently i was introduced to a simple but quit elegant game (write by another Italian fella) that is Song of Blades and Heroes. A cool agnostic-scale fantasy skirmisher with freedom of choiche & a nice '80ies feeling that i love.

I'm not in 28mm, but i understand that 10mm (instead of 15mm) could be a little too small for that lovely skirmisher.

But i'm not really sure about that.

You could, for example, create little 2  2.5cm bases with 2-3 models on them and so on, if the problem is recognizing the figure.

But i would like to ask if someone has ever started a skirmish project with this scale, and if someone has some pictures.

Working with 10mm, on a 60x60cm or 90x90cm table would result in a nicely sized table, with a lot of details & scenics to explore and play.

Bases would probably be 20mm or 25mm circle-shaped for basic units, 30mm or 35mm for cavalry and 50mm for monster & big stuff.

15mm could be a good choice too, but i have the dream (one day) to combine the Pendraken dungeon set with this game system so everything is pulling throu 10mm. It is a game that you play sitted in front of a table, so i dont see all those problems recognizing a coloured 10mm model, but i would like to hear some comments on that.

Thanks everyone and good 10mm gaming

Andrea

sunjester

I think 10mm will work well for skirmishes, either using single base or multi-base models. I used 10mm on single figure bases very successfully for Chain of Command when it first came out, I'll see if I can find some pictures.

SoBaH seems popular, but if you are likely to play solo at all I'd suggest Sellswords and Spellslingers, also by Andrea Sfiligoi. It's a fantastic little game that plays well solo or as a cooperative group (monsters are controlled by cards).

steve_holmes_11

Hello Andrea,

I have played in some fantastic Song of Blades and Heroes games: http://colgar6.blogspot.com/search/label/Song%20of%20Blades%20and%20Heroes

Suggestions to convert to 10mm play.

1. Don't make the bases too bulky, but use them to help recognise the figures.

OK so in 28mm the figures are easy to recognise, this is less so in 10mm (especially if your eyes are as old as mine).
You can help yourself in a few ways.

Basing
* Base all the canon fodder on fairly small bases.
* Base the better fighters (Combat 3?) on slightly larger bases.
* Base the real sluggers (combat 4 (and 5???)) on even larger bases.
This helps the "star players" stand out, and because of the end to end movement of SoBaH enables the stars to also move slightly faster.

Painting
 Pick out unique details on your characters with bright primary colours - you'll be able to tell which is your expert archers from the levies this way.

Scale
 SoBaH is designed for a 60x60cm table (sometimes bigger).
 My advice is to keep the same table size, and same movement sticks for the smaller figures.
 It will look odd on the first couple of plays, but you will find that weapon ranges are a lot more realistic with 10mm figures.
 And who doesn't enjoy winning the game by knocking down the fleeing enemy thief with a 100 metre sling shot..

fred.

I kind of did this, I have the Pendraken dungeon, and paint that, and based up lots of figures individually, both adventurers (surprisingly hard to find) and monsters, super easy, and probably the biggest plus of the project.
We played a couple of games, forget which rules, but not any more. Not entirely sure why, rules certainly didn't help. And SoBH would be a good choice, I've played 28mm games of SoBH and really enjoyed them.

Single based 10mm figures are quite small, but we have played Chain of Command with 1 or 2 figure 10mm bases, and in many ways its great. But detailed identification of figures and their weapons can be hard. But in a fantasy game this is less of a problem as all your figures can be different colours, they aren't all wearing the same brown uniform!

Multi basing is easier from a handling perspective, but I'm not entirely sure how this would work with SoBH, and starts to remove some of the benefits, as even through the figures are small the footprint of the unit isn't.

To be honest, despite being a huge 10mm and Pendraken fan, if it was to do a single figure based project, I would probably look at 15mm first, its a good balance between being able to see what a single figure is, and size and cost.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

sunjester

I've found a couple of pictures of my US airborne platoon for CoC.
The two-man teams are on 25mm washers, the officers/ncos are on pennies and the rest are individually based on smaller washers I found in my tool box.

Jamsus

Thanks for all replies

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 17 July 2019, 05:42:00 PM
Hello Andrea,

I have played in some fantastic Song of Blades and Heroes games: http://colgar6.blogspot.com/search/label/Song%20of%20Blades%20and%20Heroes

Suggestions to convert to 10mm play.

1. Don't make the bases too bulky, but use them to help recognise the figures.

OK so in 28mm the figures are easy to recognise, this is less so in 10mm (especially if your eyes are as old as mine).
You can help yourself in a few ways.

Basing
* Base all the canon fodder on fairly small bases.
* Base the better fighters (Combat 3?) on slightly larger bases.
* Base the real sluggers (combat 4 (and 5???)) on even larger bases.
This helps the "star players" stand out, and because of the end to end movement of SoBaH enables the stars to also move slightly faster.

Painting
 Pick out unique details on your characters with bright primary colours - you'll be able to tell which is your expert archers from the levies this way.

Scale
 SoBaH is designed for a 60x60cm table (sometimes bigger).
 My advice is to keep the same table size, and same movement sticks for the smaller figures.
 It will look odd on the first couple of plays, but you will find that weapon ranges are a lot more realistic with 10mm figures.
 And who doesn't enjoy winning the game by knocking down the fleeing enemy thief with a 100 metre sling shot..

Really nice battle report there!

For basing i was thinking a 1.5cm - 3cm - 5cm different kind of sizes, i could go 1cm - 2cm - 3cm - 5cm as you suggested.

I was thinking more something similar i was doing in Bloodbowl, so painting the border of the base in a "category" color.

Yellow "herofighter"
Blue "some kind of wizard"
White "cleric-stuff"
Green "rogue-ranger-ranged"
Grey "common fighters"
Purple "strange stuff or stealthy assassins"
Red "berserk-crazy killer monsters"

etc etc

So you suggest exactly a 60x60 table with shorter sticker, i was thinking something about that... but maybe a 90x90 could contain more action?

Thanks a lot for suggestions

Quote from: sunjester on 17 July 2019, 05:39:12 PM
I think 10mm will work well for skirmishes, either using single base or multi-base models. I used 10mm on single figure bases very successfully for Chain of Command when it first came out, I'll see if I can find some pictures.

SoBaH seems popular, but if you are likely to play solo at all I'd suggest Sellswords and Spellslingers, also by Andrea Sfiligoi. It's a fantastic little game that plays well solo or as a cooperative group (monsters are controlled by cards).

I know also that game, but for now i'm focusing on this other one!

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote from: fred. on 17 July 2019, 05:48:21 PM
I kind of did this, I have the Pendraken dungeon, and paint that, and based up lots of figures individually, both adventurers (surprisingly hard to find) and monsters, super easy, and probably the biggest plus of the project.
We played a couple of games, forget which rules, but not any more. Not entirely sure why, rules certainly didn't help. And SoBH would be a good choice, I've played 28mm games of SoBH and really enjoyed them.

Single based 10mm figures are quite small, but we have played Chain of Command with 1 or 2 figure 10mm bases, and in many ways its great. But detailed identification of figures and their weapons can be hard. But in a fantasy game this is less of a problem as all your figures can be different colours, they aren't all wearing the same brown uniform!

Multi basing is easier from a handling perspective, but I'm not entirely sure how this would work with SoBH, and starts to remove some of the benefits, as even through the figures are small the footprint of the unit isn't.

To be honest, despite being a huge 10mm and Pendraken fan, if it was to do a single figure based project, I would probably look at 15mm first, its a good balance between being able to see what a single figure is, and size and cost.

Thanks for the feedback. I know, 15mm looks more suitable, but i have a lot of stuff already for 10mm

Quote from: sunjester on 17 July 2019, 05:48:59 PM
I've found a couple of pictures of my US airborne platoon for CoC.
The two-man teams are on 25mm washers, the officers/ncos are on pennies and the rest are individually based on smaller washers I found in my tool box.

Thanks for sharing the pics, i have a better idea of the sizes now!

Jamsus

And... thanks everyone, the journey has begun!

sunjester

steve_holmes_11

Wow, excellent detail on that little guy.
Fine work!

Reminds me of my first experience with Pendraken many years ago.
A handful of fantasy figures; dwarves with beards that were a joy to drybrush.

Returning to your question about table size, I think my figures are form the SoBaH V1 rules.
They recommend 2 different scales (with different lengths of movement stick).

The "big" scale uses longer sticks with 28mm (or similar) figures and plays on 3 feet (~90cm) square.
The smaller scale has shorter sticks for 15mm (and similar) figures and plays on 2 feet (~60cm) square.

I would recommend using the smaller sticks with 10mm figures.
Start with a 60cm square, but expand the table size if you think it would be more fun, or as your retinues expand.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Lovely work !!  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Jamsus

Thanks everyone for kind comments and feedback!

And i already setted up some scenics (also some houses sold from Pendraken)

If in this week the bases will arrive, i will set up the first two adventurers warbands!

Big Insect

I like the crater lakes - very ingenious  :D
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

sunjester

Very nice, look forward to seeing the warbands and some batreps.