Ypres Menin Gate last Post Ceremony

Started by T13A, 17 July 2019, 10:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

Hi

My 13 year old son Jack is currently in Belgium on a 'Battlefields' trip with his school. Tonight or tomorrow night (not sure which) they are due to take part in the last post ceremony ay the Menin Gate and lay a wreath. I have been searching on the interweb thingy to see if there was a webcam where we could watch the ceremony while it takes place but I cannot find a link (indeed if there is one) probably due to incompetence on my part! Anyway if anybody can point me in the right direction or provide a link I would be very grateful.

Hopefully he will also get to visit the grave of his Great, Great uncle who was killed a few months before the end of the war and is buried in a cemetery near Ypres.

Many thanks, Paul
T13A Out!

Leman

It is indeed a very moving occasion and school children seem to react to it in a very positive way (I did the school field trip half a dozen times with Y9 children in the last 10 years before I retired). It was some time ago now and I was unaware of a live webcam then, so don't know if one has been installed since.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

My two both went 15 - 20 years ago. Certainly at that point there wasn't a camera, at least not a publicly accessible one.

They really enjoyed their trips.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Had a quick check around while I was mixing putty, Paul.

There doesn't appear to be anything nearby. :(

I could only find half a dozen, or so, publicly accessible webcams around Ypres....None of which are of any use to you.
(I expect you've already found those.)

Cheers - Phil

T13A

Hi Chaps

Thanks for looking. I have found this:

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/belgium/west-flanders.html

But for the life of me can't actually see any webcams! Is it me?

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Techno

In a word, Paul......No ! X_X

I managed to get a few links from that page,.....and they seem to give access to ones in Antwerp, Linberg and Brussels......Which don't help you at all :'(

One of the other webaddys I've looked at DOES have 4 or so 'cams' in or near Ypres....But again, nothing that you're looking for.

Sorry.  :(

Cheers - Phil.....Who nearly clicked on one that's supposedly on, or orbiting, the Moon.  :o