Crossing Linear and High Area Terrain

Started by T13A, 09 July 2019, 12:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

Hi

I understand that an infantry unit stops when contacting linear terrain (say a wall on a hedge) and then moves its normal full distance on their next successful order. I also understand that any unit stops when contacting the boundary (but on the inside) of high area terrain (say an orchard or a wood). And again moves as normal on its next successful order. Hopefully I have got that right!

So what does an infantry unit do when it contacts the boundary of a wood or orchard (high area terrain) that is also surrounded by a linear obstacle (again, say a hedge or wall)?

Does it stop as soon as it contacts the linear terrain and on its next successful order it cross's the linear obstacle and then immediately stops again as it has entered the high area terrain?

Apologies if this has come up before. Thanks for any help.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

T-Square

Since the edges of the two pieces of terrain, linear and high area, occupy the same location they would be crossed by the same order.  So stop, pass next order, jump over fence then full movement in woods.  It seems to me putting a fence along the edge of the high area is one way to stop certain units from getting cover on initial contact with high area terrain.  (A fully tracked vehicle would just crash through the fence.)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

As written, any element stops at the edge of any terrain peice. Its one of the things that requires a tad of common sense, so if as we did on sunday you have a feild with no hedges I'd let you drive or walk in with no penalty> If it doees have a barrier the you can assume a ditch, and have to stop.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

You move up to the edge of an area template - but stop just inside it.

You move up to the edge of a linear obstacle and halt, crossing it the following turn and make a full move (if you are Infantry) or you drive through it if you are a tank.

So in the event of a wood (high area terrain) surrounded by a hedge, the infantry unit moves up to the hedge and stops, it then moves into the wood in its next turn and moves a full move.
An AFV (tank) moves up to and through the hedge and into the wood, but stops on the inside of the wood. Making a full move next turn inside the wood.

Hope that helps?
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

T13A

Hi

Many thanks for the replies.

So in effect, for infantry, there is no difference to its movement between moving to cross a linear terrain piece (e.g. wall or hedge) or moving to cross and into a piece of high area terrain (e.g. a wood) surrounded by linear terrain. In both cases the infantry stop on contacting the linear terrain and then on its next successful order moves a full move.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Big Insect

No Paul (but I need to correct myself)

In the case of of the wood the infantry move up to it and stop just inside the template (taking advantage of the cover).

In the case of the hedge, they stop up against the side they come in contact with 1st, seeking cover from the hedge.

In the case of the wood with the hedge on its boundary, they stop at the hedge and next go they move into the wood and stop again just inside the boundary.

It could be argued that the infantry stop at the hedge, next turn move over the hedge and stop just inside the wood (on the boundary) so as to gain their bearings and check out what is in the wood. This might be considered to create an unrealistic restriction, but the same thing can occur with a 2 pieces of HAT next to each other (a village - BUA, next to a wood). As the infantry move through the BUA, Stop at the edge inside the terrain. Move out and into the wood on the next move, but stop on the inside edge.

It is a mechanism to stop units crashing around from terrain piece to terrain piece with no penalties.

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.