6mm Cold War Soviets and West Germans

Started by bigjackmac, 04 July 2019, 06:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

First, Happy Independence Day to all my fellow Americans!

Apparently my massive sale was exactly what I needed!  Clear out some detritus to make way for real progress, and real progress it's been: I have now completed my second major project since the sale!  This was a Cold War project, Soviets and West Germans in 6mm from Heroics and Ros.  Right now, at least, I don't intend on actually playing Cold War stuff, but, as is my wont, I will be using these in my alternate history blog, Cuba Libre, to play out the Fall of Cronistria.  So the West Germans will be standing in as Free Cubans, and the Soviets will be Communist Cronistrians and their Yugoslavian backers.

So, what did I do?  Well, first and foremost, I'm a solo gamer, so I always have to do both sides, and when I do both sides, I typically build them not to 'real-life' Tables of Organization and Equipment (TO&E), rather, I build identical capabilities.  Because when I do actually get to play against another human, it's my 9-year old son, and so I like, as much as possible, to keep things fair.  And you'll see it in some of the games, as I do it not just with force structure with troop capabilities.  Rather than play the 'normal' NATO kills WarPac at a 3-1 ratio, I make an M-1/Challenger/Leopard II equal to a T-64/T-72/T-80, I make a Bradley/Warrior/Marder equal to BMP-1/BMP-2, etc...  In any case, this may look a little weird because I took Soviet Motor Rifle Division and Tank Division and sorta 'bathtubbed' them, where each battalion is represented by two vehicles. So an MRR has six BTRs and two T-64s, while a TR has six T-80s and 2 BMPs.  Additionally, each regiment has a two-gun (self-propelled) artillery battery, and there are divisional command, recce, and anti-air assets.  Then I copied it and did the same for the West Germans, ostensibly creating either a Panzer or Panzergrenadier Division.

Let's get to the pics!

The whole thing, Soviets on the left, Germans on the right (with a bit of unpainted leftovers at top center).  Again, everything is 6mm from HR.  The painting went quick, except all those damned wheels! ;)

Leo IIs on the prowl.  I've always had an affinity for the Leopard II, just a really beautiful (in a martial way), deadly looking beast.

And their Red counterparts. 

To see more pics, please check the blog at:
https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2019/07/6mm-cold-war-soviets-and-west-germans.html

Thanks for looking, more to come!

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sunray

+1 Jack.

I too try to create equally balanced OOB's for both solo and family gaming.  The only BKC variation is the troop quality - One side, more infantry but
all "2s"- the opposition smaller but 3s or 4s in terms of regular/veteran status.

Look forward to seeing your images on Andy's new HR website.   :)

Rumour Control hints that it will feature a lot of images of 1/300 MTBs .

bigjackmac

Thanks, Lemmey!

Sunray - I'm with you; for me, the scenarios and troop quality can represent any differences you need in the game, but even then, for me it's mostly just scenario based (i.e., the old standby of a 3-1 ratio of attacker to prepared defender).

I'd be honored if HR would use my models on their site, but I think there are probably a lot of better options than my humble paintjobs out there ;)

MTBs or MBTs? ;)

V/R,
Jack

Techno

Those do look rather splendid !!  :)

Cheers - Phil.

Sunray

Quote from: bigjackmac on 05 July 2019, 03:34:04 PM

I'd be honored if HR would use my models on their site, but I think there are probably a lot of better options than my humble paintjobs out there ;)

MTBs or MBTs? ;)

V/R,
Jack

Andy K is canny enough to see the marketing power of Warlord Games Cruel Sea, and to piggy back on the free generation of hype around 1/300.
His H&R  Fairmile MTBs in particular are going like hot cakes, as are other models which represent good bang for the buck.  He is now adroit at casting in resin.

However, the HR marketing plan is to include aircraft ......and MBTs in the imagery and lead the new 1/300 customer "from ship to shore"   :)

James

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

bigjackmac

Thanks, Phil!

And I agree with Paul, James, it sounds like a good idea to me.  And you bringing it up reminded me I have some 1/600 coastal forces for WWII Pacific lying around!

V/R,
Jack