Trying to start with 10mm scifi terrain

Started by lowlylowlycook, 06 July 2019, 10:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowlylowlycook

How I got here is a bit of madness we don't need to get into (might rhyme with pickstarter) but I'm trying to start up some 10mm sci-fi terrain.  Basically I need something to show off my large number of CAV mechs so that I can give at least some of them away in a Paint n Take.

I've started off with making the base shape of some buildings in plaster and using plastic packaging as a mold (The idea comes from this guy but I don't recommend clicking that link unless you feel comfortable with making a guest appearance on the show Hoarders) :

CFL bulb packaging

Fancy egg crate and glue stick packaging

I guess most of you would call the one in the back a biscuit package and in front is a failed attempt to use a case for 5 tomatoes.  Sometimes I use medicine bottles to try and cut down on the weight or amount of plaster needed and I ended up with plaster that was too thin and also didn't stick to the bottles.

Successful use of that tomato case.

What I'm kind of stumped on is what should I use for basing.  The plaster will need something glued to the underside to keep things from chipping but perhaps not anything scenic.   Should I go for a Martian look, Lunar or something more terrestrial? 

It certainly would be simpler if I could use my usual set of hills, etc.  Hmmmmmmm. 

Any and all advice appreciated.

O Dinas Powys

Very nice  :-bd

Cork tiles?

My first thought was upside-down table mats (the ones that are like big coasters): they're robust and often have an anti-slip cork layer, but usually have rounded corners giving you another problem to deal with  :-\

If you paint them concrete grey I'd go red/Martian: the colour contrast would work well (at least in my mind's eye  ;) )

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

d_Guy

The five domed structure looks like it would make a great pressurized base on a non-terraformed world. FWIW I have used 3/8" black on black foam core for some basing. I like the look of the exposed black foam. Thanks for putting the orc archer in the one pic to give an idea of scale.  :-bd
Sleep with clean hands ...

lowlylowlycook

Funny thing is that this failed casting is my favorite piece so far.  I meant to put down some cork sheeting for the base but I got too excited to put this thing together and forgot all about it.

In general I'm just putting some cardboard under these to protect them without restricting how they get used.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Do you try and use any sort of 'releasing agent' on the moulds, Cookie ?
I was wondering whether a light spray of WD 40 on the inside of the plastic might help. :-\

Cheers - Phil

lowlylowlycook

Quote from: Techno on 09 July 2019, 07:19:59 AM
Do you try and use any sort of 'releasing agent' on the moulds, Cookie ?
I was wondering whether a light spray of WD 40 on the inside of the plastic might help. :-

Cheers - Phil

Releasing isn't normally a problem. And really, finally getting to throw away a blister pack that I've had stored away for too long is almost a relief.

The broken piece was because I was too aggressive in trying to cut down in weight of plaster.  On the bigger pieces I've been "floating" medicine bottles to create voids like so:

The bottles got too close to the edge of the mold and there wasn't any strength left.

Techno

That's a damn good idea !

Got it, now !  :)

Cheers - Phil