Simple Firing Queries

Started by T13A, 06 July 2019, 11:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

Hi

Just wanted to make sure that I have got this one right!

An AFV that does not have the 'tough' 'special ability' is being fired upon in the open and from the flank (in effect anywhere from 45 degrees from the outside of the way the AFV is facing, hope that makes sense). The firer gets a +1 D6 modifier for firing from the flank and if 'hit' the AFV save value is reduced by 1 (i.e. a save value of 5 becomes 6, but never below 6). Is that correct?

Do the same principles (i.e. being fired upon from the flank) apply to infantry occupying trenches or buildings?

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

T-Square

First question.  Yes +1d6 for flank/rear shot and -1 for save.

Second question; good question, two sections.

Trenches are linear terrain.  Thus the +1d6 would apply.  You only hit the target on 6's (bottom page 35). Now see the top of page 36; trenches have a save 5/6 and the save is reduced by 1 for flank/rear shots.

Buildings:  Units are only hit on 6s (page 13 & 35 bottom).  Wood building, no save.  (Not mentioned in saves, thus no save.)  Brick building save 5/6.  Stone/concrete building save 4/5/6.  (Page 36 top.)  Facing always matters.  So, yes, the flank shooting and saving bonus/reduction still apply.

T13A

Hi T-Square

Many thanks for the confirmation that I had it right!

Further to what you said about saves for troops in buildings (which I also understand by the way and is the way it was in BKC-II), how does that work with the rules on page 12 under 'Built-Up Areas' where it says, "the need to represent specific buildings individually....is unnecessary". And further on, on the same page under 'Villages' it says, "Buildings can be built from wood, stone, brick etc. but for our purposes the defensive capability of each building material is considered irrelevant (my emphasis)"?

Cheers (and thanks for the help) Paul
T13A Out!

T-Square

Depends on the scale you are using and how you want to play it.  In 6mm we use general built up areas similar to playing wooded terrain.  We designate various larger areas to hold wood buildings, brick buildings, etc. using different colored felt.  We have small paper buildings on the felt for looks.  Then we remove the buildings to make room for troops occupying the area.

With 15mm we use individual buildings and levels.  We designate what the building material for each building on the table.  The buildings remain on the table when occupied.