Franco-Prussian War, Battle of Rittershoffen in 10mm

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 05 July 2019, 11:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Time for a big Franco-Prussian game and report (you might want a cup of tea and a biscuit, or three).

https://madlemmey.blogspot.com/2019/07/battle-of-rittershoffen-10mm-franco.html
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Dave Fielder

#LIKE ... those 'Volley and Bayonet' style bases work really well adding to the overall look of the battle. How does Black Powder feel with this period? It all looks to move well enough.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I have certain modifications that I have developed over the years (V&B and Black Powder combat mechanisms are quite similar, morale and moves are different) but it works brilliantly.

French have trouble advancing but shoot well
Prussian artillery is brilliant, their infantry shoot g less so, but their attacks are brutal.
Cavalry has difficulty charging steady do it frontally, but is brutal, if it does not get shot to pieces on the way in...
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

I should of made a cup of tea before I started reading ;)

Viva Chasseurs a Pied  :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

A lovely looking game Will with a great scenario to boot 8). Nice to see BP being used for the conflict, despite the authors lack of interest in it!

mmcv

Excellent game, sounds like a lot of fun. Great looking units too!

Leman

Already had my coffee and croissants so will read later, but the BP brigade did not endear themselves to me when they made it perfectly clear in 1st edition that they had no interest in C19th European warfare (Napoleonic and Carlists excepted). They paid a cursory visit to the FPW, but the FAW, Danish War and APW were dismissed in derisory terms.

Here is a lengthy quote - page 107

We pass over the early wars of German unification without much feeling of regret - the Schleswig War......and Second Schleswig War.....are not without their supporters but whether we would want to encourage them is another matter (clearly wasted your time there then, Leon). The same goes for the  Prussian Austrian War of 1866..........A much more serious omission would be the Taiping Rebellion (for which the Perry's have produced a Foundry range)???

In other words, where our good chums the Perrys have produced a range, the Carlists, the Crimea, the FPW (in the Foundry range) we'll endorse that European warfare; where they haven't we'll dismiss it out of hand. The battles of Solferino and Koniggratz were amongst the largest battles of the C19th but barely receive a mention. Furthermore the growing number of figure manufacturers producing figures for those conflicts, particularly in the smaller and more manageable scales, again are virtually completely ignored (15mm ACW gets a look in within the Glory Hallelujah supplement).  >:(
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

So that's why we fight the fight for the good wats, and keep bombarding their faceache page with images! ;)

Danes on their way...

Dave Fielder

Well "Bloody Big Battles" to the lot of them if that's the attitude .... has anyone seen my Krupp Gun?
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Norm

Thanks for putting all that work in for an AAR, enjoyed very much.

petercooman

Looks great, will have to come back later, when i have time to read completely!

sunjester

Just because the author/s are being a bit of an arse, doesn't mean the rules aren't good to play!

I did look at BBB, but was quite disappointed in the batreps I've seen. It seems a bit like Bloody Small Battles to me  ;), I was after something using larger armies, not just reducing the figure scale. Each to their own, but that's one of the beauties of our hobby, there isn't just one right answer.

Chris Pringle

Nice report, Lem. I like the inter-Teuton rivalry - always good for a game to have conflicting goals among allies.

Quote from: sunjester on 07 July 2019, 01:33:31 PM
I did look at BBB, but was quite disappointed in the batreps I've seen. It seems a bit like Bloody Small Battles to me  ;), I was after something using larger armies, not just reducing the figure scale. Each to their own, but that's one of the beauties of our hobby, there isn't just one right answer.

Yeah, sorry about the misleading title. Originally we were going to call it 'Bloody Feasible Entire Major Historical Battles Fought to Conclusion on 6'x4' in Three Hours' but that wouldn't fit on the cover.   ;)

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Leman

You could also have titled it 'How to Fight Large Historical battles without breaking the bank by investing in thousands of figures and building an extension,' but that probably wouldn't have fitted either. Definitely a rule set to my own! Not a great fan of, 'What ho gents, my spiffing Tommies have given Johnny Turk a jolly good thrashing don't you know. Lets celebrate with a cup of tea, or better still wait until the sun is over the yardarm.'  :Ph
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!