Tiny Air Combat Kicking into High Gear!

Started by bigjackmac, 30 June 2019, 03:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

30 June 2019, 03:58:33 PM Last Edit: 30 June 2019, 04:02:20 PM by bigjackmac
All,

I can't tell you how happy I am to report: PROJECT FINISHED!!!  I ordered a boatload of aircraft from Thomaston last years, for WWII Pacific, WWII Battle of Britain, and various moderns (from the Korean War to present).  Previously I'd completed the WWII Pacific set, and even played quite a few fights with them using the very simple "Battle of Britain" rules (https://oldleadbreed.blogspot.com/search/label/Battle%20of%20Britain%20Rules).

However, the WWII Battle of Britain and Modern sets had languished on the painting table... until now!  I recently had a surgery (emergency appendectomy), so while convalescing I sat down to base and paint in snatches, and this weekend I finished them up.  What now?  Well, first up is probably going to be heading to Cuba Libre for some modern air fighting over South Leon (https://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/), and then it's either back to the War in the Pacific, or over to the Arab-Israeli Wars (https://swordofgideonwargaming.blogspot.com/) for some dogfighting during the Suez Crisis.  Unfortunately, Battle of Britain is just going to have to wait, due to the amount of projects I've already got going on...  But enough talk, let's see some pics!

The whole shebang, WWII Battle of Britain on top, Moderns on the bottom, 152 aircraft total.

Just had to do some VF-84 "Jolly Rogers."

Some F-86 Sabres.

And how about a Spitfire?

[img width=600]https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-t7Xn83GZhOg/XRi-CDmdTyI/AAAAAAAApYw/fALLCAwlJ2QEV6YBOsgEzu3-OZ2xbvzOQCLcBGAs/s1600/IMG_5757.JPG
And just to give you an idea of the size of these things: at left is an HR 1/300 Typhoon.  At bottom center is a Picoarmor 1/600 Typhoon.  At far right is the 'Tiny Air Combat' Spitfire you just saw in the previous picture.

To see all the pics, please check the blog at:
https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2019/06/tiny-air-combat-kicking-into-high-gear.html

Thanks for looking, and stand by for some gaming (probably during the Independence Day holiday).

V/R,
Jack

Sunray

Thanks Jack - enjoyed the eye candy and the link.

I am working on a MENG Models warship (the Scharnhorst)  - convert to 1/300 monitor - it occurs to me that the scale AND more importantly the cartoon style is possibly the same as these little aircraft.   They do a Lexington Carrier.

Westmarcher

Looking good, big man.  :-bd

p.s. Still struggling with getting an idea of the scale unfortunately (perhaps a ruler or tape measure alongside?). Also, imo, I feel that the F-86 sabres - the models, not your painting - look slightly cartoonish. Otherwise, great.   :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

bigjackmac

Thank you, gentlemen, I appreciate it.

To both your comments on 'cartoonish,' yes, you're absolutely right, they are.  They're shortened, thickened, and a bit exaggerated, what the gentleman who makes them calls "chibi," which apparently is the Japanese term to describe the condition.  As with everything, they're not for everyone, but I think they're awesome ;)  I will say there are a few of the modern aircraft that actually look a little too 'normal' to me, not chubby and stubby enough.

V/R,
Jack

Wulf

I think they look great - the chibi dimensions just make them even better.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

Those look very good indeed Jack.....and you even have "Mig 28's"  8)

the "chibi" look really suits your aircraft models.

Good luck on the highway to the danger zone and always check your 6.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Fixed this image link

QuoteAnd just to give you an idea of the size of these things: at left is an HR 1/300 Typhoon.  At bottom center is a Picoarmor 1/600 Typhoon.  At far right is the 'Tiny Air Combat' Spitfire you just saw in the previous picture.

They certainly are tiny

:-bd =D> :-bd
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Love those Sabres!

Ouch on the appendectomy :S
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Techno

They look great, to me, Jack. :)

Hope you're 'on the mend', Matey......Bet that was bloody painful !! :o

Cheers - Phil

Raider4

Dang! Those sure are small. Probably need the cartoon-y features, otherwise you'd never see them. Well done on painting those.

bigjackmac

Thanks, TP, and the appendectomy wasn't my favorite ;)

I appreciate it, Phil, and wasn't too bad, I'm just tender ;)

Raider- Thanks, and yes, I think the 'chibi'-ness exaggerates certain characteristics that makes them look better/more easily identifiable.

V/R,
Jack