Has anyone tried GWs new Contrast paints?

Started by lowlylowlycook, 30 June 2019, 03:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowlylowlycook

Quote from: toxicpixie on 30 June 2019, 11:00:56 PM
How are people finding them over non-GW Contrast undercoats? I'm mildly happy with trying them over Halfords white spray but am told they're supposed to be only useful on GW's special undercoats (which is just a satin, as far as I can tell...).

I can't be too helpful because the orcs I used for most of my testing were primed many, many years ago but whatever I sprayed them with back then seemed to work ok with the Contrast paints.  On the other hand, I didn't have any luck putting them over any of my Reaper paints, which are too matte, I guess.

Personally, I like the extra bit of shading that you get by putting down Nuln Oil before the Contrast.

toxicpixie

A pre-shade might work nicely, and I wonder of that's given them the extra bit of "flow" for you?

It's kind of diluting the "one step" process idea a bit though :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Techno

That sounds a great couple of tips 'Cookie' and Nathan.

I think our truly good friends here should/could 'have an experiment' with various mediums and techniques...and then post or comment about the results.
Everyone wants to improve their skills.

Without wishing to go 'on and on' about it  X_X.....When I was 'in charge' of the painters at the Evil Empire, we use to try all sorts of stuff.....Some worked (really, really well)....Others didn't.

The ones that worked.....We'd all copy.....The ones that didn't...... ;)
That was the massive advantage in working in an environment working with people who were basically doing 'the same thing as you' on a day to day basis.

Cheers - Phil

Fenton

I discovered this chaps you tube channel the other day and found his video about contrast paints interesting

https://youtu.be/wy_Jk7bOsPo
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

lowlylowlycook

Quote from: toxicpixie on 02 July 2019, 03:23:40 PM
A pre-shade might work nicely, and I wonder of that's given them the extra bit of "flow" for you?

It's kind of diluting the "one step" process idea a bit though :D

That extra flow is why they came out with the new Nuln Oil Gloss.

The left C.A.V. (Basically off brand Battlemechs but 10mm!) was done with Spacewolf Grey over regular Nuln Oil.  The one on the right was done over Nuln Oil Gloss.  In this case I think the regular works better.   If you might notice the legs on the leftmost CAV are a different shade.  That's because I decided that the Spacewolf was light on pigment went to a 50/50 mix with Ultramarine on the legs.  By the time it dried, the torso looked a bit nicer. 

The C.A.V. in the middle was one of the greens over Gloss Nuln which seemed to work fine.  While the Contrast paints struggle a bit with flat areas, I'd say they sit nicely in the panel lines.     

My next experiment will be to paint the cockpit glass silver and then try some Contrast over that.  I've got way too many of these and something that would get them on the table would be pretty useful.

toxicpixie

Yeah, they look decent! And for virtually zero time, which means big armies very quickly :)

I think I need to experiment and maybe try a pre-shade wash, but then I'm also thinking it's as quick to drop a shade tone afterwards, so...

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

lowlylowlycook

An interesting video of home-made contrast.

He is basically using Les' wash recipe but without any water to dilute the medium.

fred.

10 July 2019, 10:26:12 PM #22 Last Edit: 10 July 2019, 10:28:27 PM by fred.
Interesting video. I've not got any of the acrylic inks, but I do have a big pot of Matt medium and flow improver.

Might try some mixes, as I quite often use the thinner paint over white approach.

The liquitex acrylic ink is around £6 for a 30ml bottle so twice as much colour for the same price as GW then you mix it with Matt medium to double the volume again, so if you want a lot it's cheaper. Also interesting from a playing to get results perspective.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts