Ethiopian campaign - and early North Africa

Started by Sunray, 29 June 2019, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

I have been having fun in 6mm with lots of little actions in Abyssinia/Ethiopia/Iraq circa 1938 -1941.   The action with BKC is not unlike SCW.
Tanks and tankettes are not invincible monsters. (wait until the Tillies arrive!).

The uniforms are a challenge  to paint up - especially Italian Askari , West (yes - West) African Frontier Force, and Italian and Brits in Toppee and Pith helmets.  ACW and Colonial can proxy at this scale.

In short, it awoke a longing to game in 10mm.  Yes, there are existing Colonial Brits and Egyptians who would proxy well, but a few figures designed for purpose - like command types would be the ticket.   Any votes ?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

lowlylowlycook

Obviously I would buy anything along these lines.

Sunray

I trawled through Pendraken catalogue - the WW1 German Askari might be a proxy ?  Any images anywhere?  :)

John Cook

What about the Moroccan Falange from the ACW range as surrogate Italian Askaris?  They have a fez and puttees.

Sunray

Quote from: John Cook on 30 June 2019, 10:04:52 AM
What about the Moroccan Falange from the ACW range as surrogate Italian Askaris?  They have a fez and puttees.

Thanks John -  Spanish CW Falange -  I believe the rank & file are in a Moroccan style turban- officers may have worn the fez.

Sunray

Quote from: Sunray on 30 June 2019, 10:20:43 AM
Thanks John -  Spanish CW Falange -  I believe the rank & file are in a Moroccan style turban- officers may have worn the fez.

Sorry John, the Pendraken sculpts are in a Fez.  I based my answer on the Osprey publication The Spanish Civil War which shows photos and plates of Moroccan rank and file in the "rexa" turban.  Officers depicted are in the tarbuch or fez.  :)

John Cook

No need to apologise.  You are confusing the Moroccan Falange, which was recruited from Spanish ex-pats living in Morocco, with the native Moroccan Regulares/Mehal.  I converted some for Leon (well, I wanted some myself) several years ago.

See https://pendraken.co.uk/inter-war/spanish-civil-war/nationalist/moroccan-falange/

They will do quite well for Italian Askari I think, or any other troops with fez/puttees. 

Sunray

Thanks John - the SCW is not my period, and its good to learn something everyday. They look like nice sculpts !