Grant, Featherstone and rule sets today.

Started by Norm, 23 June 2019, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Just looking at two rule sets from the 70's that I recently picked up and comparing with similar modern rules, I have just put a few thoughts and observations on the blog.

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2019/06/oh-simple-things-where-have-you-gone.html

Steve J

An interesting post Norm. I found these books an interesting read but am not sure I would enjoy playing the games. Today's more abstracted games tick all the boxes for me, but the books are worth getting for the ideas contained therein.

fsn

Good stuff Norm.

I suspect the 70s simplicity as evidenced by the One Hour ethos will become popular.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Did play a horse and Musket game with Featherstones rules around the time he died. Terrible. F'r instance A Confederate Infantry Rgt in a Church Yard - behind a stone wall - was wiped out by a single union cavalry rgt. Accurate ????

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mmcv

Interesting read, thanks Norm. The old rules are well before my time, but it is interesting to see the evolution of rules from those earlier times to now.

Leman

Featherstone's The Wargame was my introduction back in 1966. [Can't believe I am the same age now as someone born in 1899 was then]
My first armies were Airfix ACW, and what Ian doesn't seem to grasp is that the two or three wargame books were all that there was back then. Obviously when Featherstone died rules had moved on (although not always in the right direction - WRG has a lot to answer for). At the time I was working as a hall porter on a Saturday (people still took a week or fortnight's annual holiday in Llandudno in those days) for the princely sum of !5/- plus tips, so an Airfix box for 2/6 was easily doable. When I started to buy metal Minifigs they were 11d each, so I could only get about 16 figures for my entire week's wage. It was also a case of sending a SAE waiting for it to come back with a catalogue inside then sending off again and waiting for the box of sawdust to come back, occasionally 6 weeks later. No butterfly projects in those days, no being distracted by another period. Consequently, by the time I was 16 in 1969 my ACW armies were huge and painted, based on information in the trusty Airfix magazine. Halcyon days indeed, but I'm glad rules in general improved, figure sculpting went way beyond the early Minifig efforts and numerous new gaming periods were opened.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Terry37

A very interesting thread. My first gaming book was Donald Featherstone's "Tackle Model Soldiers This Way", which I still have - purchased back in the early '60s.  Although I had gamed WWII for years, my first introduction to non-WWII gaming was also the ACW using the Arifix figures, and their Foreign Legion painted up as Zouaves. Used home rules, that were never very satisfying, but gave many, many hours of fun. My first lead/metal figures were a few second hand SAE types, amnd some Bussler ACW figs. Then I saw the Life magazine article on Waterloo and I was off and running into Napoleonics - which I still enjoy today.

Oh, tp trip down memory lane!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

jimduncanuk

I still use Featherstones Horse and Musket rules whenever we play an Old School ACW game with very few modifications.
My Ego forbids a signature.

petercooman

Great post Norm!

As you might know, i am a big fan of Neil Thomas' rules and have almost all of them (still have to get 19th century wargaming sometimes)

They just work with minimal fuss, are easy to houserule or add on own rules, and give a fast game. If i want an even faster game, i can even use his 'one hour wargames ' book.

For me, i used to be happy with a complicated and crunchy ruleset back in the day, but as you branch out and get into a lot of periods, it starts getting harder to remember all those different rules. Having simple sets with minimal mechanics just helps you get stuff on the table more often!

Norm

23 June 2019, 09:26:38 PM #9 Last Edit: 23 June 2019, 09:29:24 PM by Norm
Thanks all. I do a lot of boardgaming as well, some of which has in-depth rules, with a wide range of subjects covered, so I am increasingly moving to a view that I want my figure side of gaming to be doing something slightly different, so the aesthetics and fun element are increasingly coming to the fore as being important elements, at least in my mind, which in turn partly has me looking backwards to perhaps less serious times.

Westmarcher

23 June 2019, 09:49:54 PM #10 Last Edit: 23 June 2019, 09:59:14 PM by Westmarcher
I also enjoyed your article on your blog, Norm.  =D>

@ Ian: I'm really surprised at your experience (coz I recall my own cavalry being hammered in a firefight with infantry) but I'm wondering if you were using the rules from Featherstone's book or Featherstone's actual ACW rules. In his blog Norm refers to units of 20 but my recollection of Featherstone's ACW rules are infantry regiments of 40 plus 5 officers plus - what was it? - cavalry units of 20 figures(?).  I recall that you had a shooting advantage for 'resting weapons' and that your saving throws might also be improved because your troops were behind a wall. However, I used to deploy my regiments in 'open order' so I'm wondering if yours were in 'close order' - I also wonder if you were facing repeaters and not simply cavalry carbines - either that or your die rolls were rubbish or you were cheated!  :o ;D

@ Terry: our Zouave units were Airfix French Foreign Legion figures also!  :D
@ Leman: your own experience also enjoyed.  :)  
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

jimduncanuk

@Westie

Featherstones book says his ACW infantry units were 20 strong and the cavalry 15 strong.

40 strong infantry units with 5 officers is much more like Grants rules.

Jim

Westmarcher

23 June 2019, 11:20:11 PM #12 Last Edit: 23 June 2019, 11:26:01 PM by Westmarcher
This is intriguing, Jim, because for many years I've been under the impression the rules I used were Donald Featherstone's (separate to the book). Unfortunately, the guy who might have been able to clear this up for me is no longer with us (he had purchased the rules when we were in our teens). What I do remember is that Grant's Napoleonic rules had 48 figures (plus officers) in four companies. But under the rules I'm thinking of it was definitely 40 figures and five officers - this was OK for a 48 pack of Airfix ACW (except Union, which had some prone figures) but as you only got 2 or 3 officers in that pack, you had to somehow supplement these with other officer types from other Airfix packs (e.g., I can recall WW2 Japanese Officers being used by my pal and also, the likes of John and Buck Cannon from the High Chaparral pack!  ;D ).*

* in some regiments, you didn't have the full complement of 5 officers - which, in one respect was quite good because in some small way it somehow reflected real life
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

jimduncanuk

I have a separate copy of Featherstones Horse and Musket rules somewhere in my collection.

I'll hunt them out and see if they differ.

sunjester

Interesting article Norm, thanks for posting.
I discovered some of Featherstone's books in the local library around 1971/2 and devoured them intently, then shortly afterwards discover there was a club in my town! The earliest rules I remember using on a regular basis was Grant's Battle! Practical Wargaming for WW2 and for ACW I was using the Airfix ruleset by Terrance Wise (using Airfix plastics, of course!).