Tactical Doctrine & Fixed Formations

Started by AJ at the Bank, 23 June 2019, 11:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

We are talking about the aspect of ordering units in other Formations Dave.

Not the +1 for Rigid (for example) etc.

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

AJ at the Bank

OK - I think I understand the answers to my original questions now .....hopefully!

Is the following correct please Mark?

(1) Update the FF Optional Rule to indicate -

(a) Reece units can be included in either an HQ's or CO's  formation; Sniper units must be allocated to the CO formation (as can only be ordered by a CO) but FAOs and FACs units are not assigned to any Fixed Formation
(b) Doctrine table rules regarding ordering units outside of formation do not apply
(c) COs may order units in other formations, but will suffer a -1CV penalty when attempting to do so.

(2) Update the Doctrine Table on p74 to -

(a) Remove all references to Fixed Formation Optional Rules
(b) Confirm Doctrine impacts as follows  -

Normal : HQs and COs may issue orders to units in other formations, but subject to a -1CV penalty when attempting to do so
Rigid : HQs can only issue orders to units in their own formation, however COs may issue orders to units in other formations, suffering a -1CV penalty when attmpting to do so
Flexible : HQs and COs may issue orders to units in other formations and receive no penalty for attempting to do so

Thansk again Mark!
Adam
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Big Insect

1) - up to you Adam.
The FF info is there deliberately to ensure that IF the FF optional Rules are played they are integrated into the main rules properly

a) Recce - yes
Sniper - no - they can be allocated to an HQ led FF, or report directly to the CO*
Snipers are Independent units - so have unlimited Initiative distance, so can move in the Initiative phase without orders
* again under FF it all depends upon which formation you are looking to depict, or which scenario. If there is a Sniper attached to an HQ in the actual formation then you an attach the Sniper to the HQ.
b). NO - the CO can order units outside his formation as per page 74 (replacing the word HQ with CO) - the doctrine table applies
c). Yes, but subject to the doctrine modifiers

2).
a). your call on that Adam (see above)
b).
Normal - No - only applies to COs
Rigid - Yes
No - only COs

Thanks
Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

AJ at the Bank

In the normal game (no Fixed Formations played) ...is it ONLY COs who can issue orders to units in other formations then please?

Thanks
Adam

Big Insect

13 July 2019, 11:58:29 PM #34 Last Edit: 14 July 2019, 12:01:52 AM by Big Insect
No Adam ... in a none FF game there are no formations. There are Order Groups (see top P22) but these can be made up of any unit (that can be ordered) that you as a player allocate to that Commander.

Any HQ or the CO can issue order to any unit that has not already been ordered by another commander, in a none Fixed Formation Game.

The CO can order a unit that another commander (HQ) has attempted to order (but failed - and not blundered) these units will cause the CO a -1 to the CV if included in an order group - as P23 (bottom of page). This only applies to the CO. Other HQs cannot order units that have failed to be ordered.

Fixed Formation rules do not apply in a game were the Optional Fixed Formation rule is not being played.

Thanks

Mark

AJ at the Bank

BeeKiller

05 August 2019, 01:09:13 AM #36 Last Edit: 05 August 2019, 01:11:50 AM by BeeKiller
Hello.

I've been reading thoughtfully this post, and I've just make a summary to see if I'have understood everything. There is sth I still don't agree with the given solution:
1) when playing FF a rigid CO can not give orders to HQ units, because otherwise there would not be a difference with a normal CO
2) when playing FF a flexible CO has no cost giving orders to HQ units, because otherwise there would not be a difference with a normal CO

Find attached the 1 page PDF summary and if anything is wrong I will make a new version.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AkV2e1-ABB-ki2IbA1lE_IoCjVea?e=beIH2l

Thank you very much.

Eduard

Big Insect

Hi Beekiller

We are finalizing the Errata and clarifications - so I am not ignoring you but it will be easier to post the final Errata piece on this, once it is finalized.

Thanks
Mark

BeeKiller