Battle of Linlithgow Bridge 1526

Started by d_Guy, 18 June 2019, 10:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Thanks Andy (and for the explanation of slang as well - we also had only three tv channels in the late 1950s). Really enjoying this period!
After a survey of the Italian Wars I am really beginning to see the attraction. I have discovered that I need a substantial amount of horse to do Pinkie Cleugh including Spanish mounted arquebusiers (which thanks to Dave I already have).

Have also discovered that in the reign of Elizabeth, Landsknechts were imported on at least one occasion to help put down a popular rebellion. If I could find some use of genitors (my new favorite horse) particularly versus border horse, everything would be Jake.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Leman

Being Spanish they were unlikely to help out Elizabeth. Bought some at Phalanx and they are absolutely ideal for the whole of the C16th.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

There are some thin (or down right fictional) possibilities (but a lot of work to get genitors on the board!). Maybe during Mary's ruthless suppression of the Protestant rebellion, or Phillip's advisors fail to dissuade him from invading England in the early 1570s, or maybe stick some in with the Spanish army at Kinsale.

In 1988 we saw the 500th anniversary exhibition of the Armada at Greenwich. Have always thought it would be great to do a game where the Spanish actually landed ground forces (don't know if genitors would be included). I am sure this has been done somewhere - anyone have any references?

Thanks for the comments on the small pike groups!

mmcv

Quote from: d_Guy on 21 June 2019, 04:06:22 PM
Have always thought it would be great to do a game where the Spanish actually landed ground forces

I was actually thinking the same a little while back. I thought it might make quite an interesting campaign style game with scenarios around reinforcements from the mainland (e.g. more Spanish, Dutch, mercenaries, etc) and the Celtic fringe declaring for different sides with some sort of randomness. I have notes in one of my many potential project documents around this but have never taken it further than that (and likely won't for a long time) but would be interesting to see someone else doing it.

Lots of potentially fun battles with the hodgepodge British forces and mercenaries against the professional Spanish tercios.

d_Guy

Finally able to continue my slowmo Battle of Linlithgow Bridge.
In a brilliantly executed stroke (requiring a near impossible four sequential activations), the Earl of Glencairn (Lennox's van commander), used his special operations forces light pikes and halberdiers to clear the Avon bridge and his heavy pikes are now pouring across the river:

As impressive as the forced bridge crossing is, farther upstream Lennox continues to fail activation after activation at the Manuel Nunnery ford. He has gotten his scouting horse across but they are receiving effective fire from Arran's well-placed gun:

At the end of turn 7, the Earl of Angus has arrived to aid Arran and has caught Glencairn's heavy pikes not yet completely formed up!
But no matter, Glencairn's lads are seriously kicking Douglas backsides:

The battle is far from decided but with the Earl of Cassilis's reserve preparing to cross the bridge, Lennox has a distinct chance, particularly if he can finally manage to bring pressure against Arran's left. The game through turn seven (with more pics) is described in more detail here:
https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2019/07/07/linlithgow-bridge-the-middle-game/

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

mmcv

d_Guy

Finally finished up my slow motion battle of Linlithgow Bridge. A decisive victory for Lennox (who spent most of his time wallowing around in the Manuel Nunnery ford while the Earl of Glencairn did the lion's share of the fighting).

End game - the young King James V (in full panoply) slips his Douglas handlers and escapes to Glencairn's sturdy pike block which just defeated (and Killed) the Earl of Angus:

The brief summary post is here (with a couple more pics):
https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2019/07/16/linlithgow-bridge-the-end-game/

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Hurrah! Essex Lennox won and changed history (maybe ...)!  :P  This is one reason why we war game. Nicely presented, Bill.  =D>
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

d_Guy

Thanks all.

Westie, you don't know how many times I had to correct myself from writing Essex! Characteristic of some sort of brain damage, no doubt.

Techno