Battle of the Boyne

Started by mmcv, 17 June 2019, 03:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Quote from: mmcv on 18 June 2019, 11:18:36 AM

It was definitely a fun scenario, and offers various options to try out, with James' forces able to take an active of passive defence strategy. Would be interesting to try out different deployments too. I'm wondering if I had Oldbridge too close to the river and the horse too far away, moving the horse up felt a bit too charge of the light brigade against the Dutch artillery, and it felt wrong that they could shoot each other from the other side of the river into the town.

William's battery of 6-pounders, on the high ground of the north bank, could  range into Oldbridge and dominate the killing ground. We have found their shot on the green baes where the sheep still graze.
Indeed the the Victorian British Army - stationed at the Curragh- took field trips to impress on young officers the dangers of enfilade fire.  General Sir Frances Clery and General Redvers Buller made much of it.  Too bad they forgot these lessons in 1899 on a loop of the Tugela River.

But that is a game for another table.  ;)

mmcv

Quote from: Sunray on 18 June 2019, 12:24:28 PM
William's battery of 6-pounders, on the high ground of the north bank, could  range into Oldbridge and dominate the killing ground. We have found their shot on the green baes where the sheep still graze.

That's good to know, I had them set up so their medium range could sweep the banks and their long range into the riverside area of the town and across the fields and enclosures, so my positioning was probably about right. The horse got stuck in medium range and were devastated while the long range fire chipped away at the infantry.

They say history is doomed to repeat itself!