The Great Game: Waterloo

Started by Dave Fielder, 16 June 2019, 12:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Fielder

Has anyone else been following this on Facebook this weekend? https://waterlooreplayed.com/
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Dave Fielder on 16 June 2019, 12:54:36 PM
Has anyone else been following this on Facebook this weekend? https://waterlooreplayed.com/

Nope, I don't use Facebook but I was at the game yesterday.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Dr Dave

I had an update from a pal who was there. He said the froggies did the usual thing: 9am throw the guard in. Do it quick cos you know the Prussians are on their way.  :( :o :'( >:(

jimduncanuk

Leman

No, I appear to be missing the wargame genes that find Napoleonic, AWI, WWII and after interesting enough to game.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

O Dinas Powys

(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

jimduncanuk

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 16 June 2019, 08:20:15 PM
There's also this one from BBC Scotland: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-48639233/mini-armies-gather-for-massive-waterloo-war-game

I thought the BBC report was pretty poor like they couldn't have a film crew available on the game days.

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 16 June 2019, 10:06:54 PM
I thought the BBC report was pretty poor like they couldn't have a film crew available on the game days.

And they have to imply wargamers all dress up as fantasist loonies...
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Dr Dave

Any news on how it played and who won?

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jimduncanuk

I'm not sure how much money was (will be) raised as it is still an ongoing event.

I do know that the £320 was collected at the door on day one from those who turned up without tickets.

There were very few tickets left available so they must have sold almost their entire allocation whatever that was.

There will be figures and terrain on auction after the game as they were donated for the game.

I will be seeing the main organiser soon so might be able to get a better picture of the charitable benefit once all the sums are done.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Ben Waterhouse on 17 June 2019, 10:05:29 AM
And they have to imply wargamers all dress up as fantasist loonies...

This is because some wargamers do dress up as fantasist loonies.

No criticism implied:
I quite enjoy having a few players about in assorted headgear.

It's a massive improvement on the trend of 2 decades ago.
The unwashed bouquet, and an "Adolph Hitler world tour" T-shirt.

paulr

Looks like a stunning event, looking forward to hearing about it from one of our regular players who made the trip to be on the umpiring team
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data