Phalanx 2019 show report

Started by Norm, 15 June 2019, 06:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Visited Phalanx 2019 today in St. Helens (NW UK). Very much enjoyed the visit and have put up a blog report with some observations and pictures.

link

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2019/06/2019-phalanx-wargame-show.html

d_Guy

Thanks for posting this report, Norm, enjoyed reading your description and insights. I don't find the sodium orange at all a problem in the pictures.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Thanks Norm, interesting thoughts and good pictures :)

QuoteThis is a medium sized show, with just shy of 40 traders
Here in the antipodes we can only dream of that many traders 8->
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Excellent, Norm.

Thanks for sharing !!  :)

Cheers - Phil

Glorfindel

Thank you for the show report - really good to read the many comments as well as
looking at the eye candy.

Some fantastic games on show, even if they were quite small.   I particularly
liked the Italian Wars - beautiful presentation.

Phil

Leman

I did pay a brief visit, but not as long as in the past. Tight purse strings led to very few purchases, but I did buy some nineties and a Spanish building from Pendraken.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

An interesting and thoughtful report, Norm, and some nice photos, despite the lighting.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

No, I didn't buy any nineties at all - I bought JINETES you mindless auto carrot!

Westmarcher

;D

p.s. Auto carrot? (is that a new fad term or more insubordination from the auto correct?)  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fred.

Thanks for the write up Norm.

I visited for about 60-90mins - had my daughter in tow so wasn't dallying too long! Her view was we kept looking at the same things!

I only spotted the same 10mm SYW game as Norm. And it seemed bereft if players. It could have done with more figures to give a spectacle. The 54mm game looked good though figures looked more HYW than WoTR. But size matters!

Spoke to several people running games - the Italian Wars one was very impressive. There was also a AWI black powder game that had a good sweeping look to it

I bought a mixture of stuff. The new WWI railway from Pendraken- I was hoping the Leon would have the new pirates too, but as I hadn't let him know I was after them he hadn't packed any!

Got a couple of 4ground Wild West buildings both on discount.  And a few 6mm buildings.

The yellow lighting isn't great - but you do get used to it fairly quickly. The bring and buy always feels like more effort than it's worth.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Norm

16 June 2019, 01:38:10 PM #11 Last Edit: 16 June 2019, 01:40:27 PM by Norm
Thanks all.

Fred,

Quote from: fred. on 16 June 2019, 01:05:39 PM

I visited for about 60-90mins - had my daughter in tow so wasn't dallying too long! Her view was we kept looking at the same things!

I was there for four hours before I came to the same conclusion :)

Quote from: fred. on 16 June 2019, 01:05:39 PM

The yellow lighting isn't great - but you do get used to it fairly quickly

A few years ago, I bought some paints from Leon under said sodium lights, only to get outside in real light and realised they were the wrong shade ... by some way!

Ithoriel

Quote from: Westmarcher on 16 June 2019, 12:44:48 PM
;D

p.s. Auto carrot? (is that a new fad term or more insubordination from the auto correct?)  :)

It's a term that I've been aware of for a couple of years.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

Quote from: Westmarcher on 16 June 2019, 12:44:48 PM
;D

p.s. Auto carrot? (is that a new fad term or more insubordination from the auto correct?)  :)
I use this term because I think it is hilarious that auto carrot cannot correct itself.

Leon

Good to see you Norm, glad you enjoyed it!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!