Meng Cartoon model ships

Started by Sunray, 14 June 2019, 07:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

14 June 2019, 07:58:08 AM Last Edit: 14 June 2019, 08:10:31 AM by Sunray
Have you seen these cute cartoon versions of famous ships?  Not sure what market they are aimed for.

However, I have a commission for a WW1 big gun Monitor - something in 1/300 like the Erbus or Terror mounting 15" guns.......and looking at the squat deck plan, I wondered if a MENG model like Scharnhorst would provide a donor hull? ....even a few bits of superstructure ?  

Has anyone built a MENG ?  At 161mm length and 55mm beam the cartoon shape might just work.  :) 

Note - MENG also offer a "modern harbour" in low relief cartoon style- depending on scale it might be suitable as a 1/300 Cruel Seas backdrop ?  

Ithoriel

Any hints as to what/ where MENG are?

Presumably not Mechanical Engineers :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

Oh, they do ships as well? I've seen some of the tanks before. Like you, wondered who they're aimed at. Suppose they're cheap enough to be 'fun' presents?

Amazon link for those who have no idea what we're on about

Ithoriel

Shame they're so pricey. They're "cutesy" enough I might finally be persuaded to play "Tanks" ... if only because the two guys trying to get me to play would be scandalised by the "inaccuracies" of the models :)

Gotta love rivet-counting treadheads :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

flamingpig0

I don't know about the warships but the Tanks would be perfect for a wargame based on this strange cartoon.

https://youtu.be/c991IDTFr0g
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Raider4

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 14 June 2019, 11:32:02 AM
I don't know about the warships but the Tanks would be perfect for a wargame based on this strange cartoon.

Oh my! Only the Japanese would come up with something like this . . .

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Ithoriel on 14 June 2019, 11:09:52 AM
Any hints as to what/ where MENG are?

Presumably not Mechanical Engineers :)

One of the Chinese Dynasties - as described by the Kiwis.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 14 June 2019, 11:32:02 AM

Strange? That is the finest cartoon ever penned.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Raider4 on 14 June 2019, 11:12:58 AM
Oh, they do ships as well? I've seen some of the tanks before. Like you, wondered who they're aimed at. Suppose they're cheap enough to be 'fun' presents?

Amazon link for those who have no idea what we're on about

I saw something about a decade ago that looked just like that.
"If Games Workshop made WW2 tanks".

Raider4

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 14 June 2019, 01:48:33 PM
I saw something about a decade ago that looked just like that.
"If Games Workshop made WW2 tanks".

(/Devil's advocate) Ahh, so they're meant for playing Flames of War then . . .