Telephone Scammers.

Started by Techno, 13 June 2019, 03:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andys

I always ask them what colour underwear they have on, in a loud, clear and confident voice. Doesn't matter if the caller is male or female.

Never respond to anything they say, just keep on repeating the same question, even if they tell you the answer, until they eventually hang up.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

andys

Do it in a General Melchett-type voice for full effect.

Techno

If only I didn't go into total, raving, melt down anger.....I might just try that. ;)

Cheers - Phil.

(Though they haven't phoned again since I told them to "Go away".)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Last time I used a 2 word response - but normally ask em technical questions - What operating system, is it a desktop or lap top, which browser. They soon give up then. Also giving them a dose of 4Extra or Radio 4 is good.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

I point out that our number is ex-directory and therefore by 'phoning it, they're breaking the law. We also have that caller preference thing to supposedly prevent such calls, although they are auto-generated. Another thing to be careful of is that you may be being charged for the price of the call, which is one clever scam, so hang up damend quick. I know one chap who set up his number premium rate) in such a way as he made money from the calls, so kept them chatting for as long as possible, knowing he was raking it in :D.

Dr Dave

I ask them how they look in the mirror knowing that their mummy and dad raised them to be liars and thieves. Then I get rude and nasty!

It's a nice vent if I've had a tough day  ;D

Techno

Quote from: Steve J on 10 August 2019, 12:58:04 PM
I point out that our number is ex-directory and therefore by 'phoning it, they're breaking the law. We also have that caller preference thing to supposedly prevent such calls, although they are auto-generated.

I'm ex-D......and on the (now) laughable telephone pref. service......

As you mention, Steve auto diallers from overseas don't give a poo.  ;)

Seeing as they haven't called for 24 hours, I guess another area code is now getting calls from these awfully nice people. ;)

Cheers - Phil

mollinary

Quote from: Techno on 10 August 2019, 04:43:44 PM

Seeing as they haven't called for 24 hours, I guess another area code is now getting calls from these awfully nice people. ;)

Cheers - Phil

Yes, mine! Eight times in the last forty eight hours!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: mollinary on 10 August 2019, 07:01:55 PM
Yes, mine! Eight times in the last forty eight hours!

Ditto - six
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Techno

X_X =)

They ARE (please insert your own word or phrase here) !!! :(

I assume it was the same "This is your Internet Service Provider.....There has been fraudulent activity on your line....We will be terminating your connection in the next 24 hours....Please press one to speak to an advisor."

That's what I was getting apart from the one 'real person' that I was rude to. ;)

Cheers - Phil

mollinary

Yes that was the one, plus another claiming there was currently an on line transaction going on from my account of £600, please press one to talk to an adviser. Only one of the 8 was a real person, and that call lasted four seconds!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

My last set were from the United Utilities office in Warrington, 5 silent ones. OFCOM informed  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Orcs

Mrs Orcs colleague has had his telephone number cloned by a scam company, so that when they call someone the number shown is his. THis means he gets loads of call from people who call to ask him why he called.  Bt reckon their is nothing they can do .....HMMMMM!
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

Quote from: Orcs on 11 August 2019, 09:50:20 PM
Mrs Orcs colleague has had his telephone number cloned by a scam company, so that when they call someone the number shown is his. THis means he gets loads of call from people who call to ask him why he called.  Bt reckon their is nothing they can do .....HMMMMM!

That's a b*gger !!......I'd always assumed that the scammers used non existent numbers to pretend they were calling from the UK.
There used to be a service called CNI (Called Number Intercept) when I worked for BT...a lifetime ago.

That meant anyone calling a CNI'd number would first go through to an operator, who would ask why they were calling.....and then pass the call on, if it was a genuine one.
(This was to intercept malicious/stalker type calls.)
Maybe BT don't provide that anymore.....They'd probably get far too many requests for that service, because of the multitude of scam calls nowadays. X_X

Cheers - Phil